E I G H T: revenge

"Hey, Clarke!" I greeted as I ran up to her.

"What's got you all excited?" Clarke asked, seeming concerned.

"I have a way to get back at your mom; to make her feel what we feel," I smirked. "But, you're probably not going to like it."

"Well, tell me more about this plan, then," Clarke said with a worried look.

***

"Yes! I did it. It's still operational," Monty exclaimed as he held Clarke's wristband in his hands carefully.

Finn walked into the drop ship and stared at both of us.

"What? Monty needed a working wristband," Clarke defended.

"And you needed to punish your mother," Finn replied.

"Look, it's only temporary. Monty will have a communications system up in no time and of course we needed to punish her mother. She floated our dads," I hissed.

I walked outside the dropship and began helping the other delinquents with building the wall. I helped a boy carry a log when suddenly he collapsed.

"Hey!" Murphy shouted at the boy. "You think the Grounders are just gonna sit around and wait for us to finish the wall? Maybe we should let the little girl do the heavy lifting for you, huh?"

"Murphy, chill the fuck out. He's dehydrated. He needs some water," I said as I gently pushed him away from the boy.

Bellamy came up behind Murphy, "Murphy, get this guy some water." Bellamy then called another boy over to help carry the log.

I stayed with the boy until Murphy returned and he proceeded to pull down his pants and began to urinate on the boy.

"Murphy! What the fuck is wrong with you?" I said as I pushed him away from the boy.

Some of Murphy's boys grabbed me and pulled me back before things got worse.

"He wanted a water break," Murphy smirked.

I pulled myself out of the grip of the boys holding me back and then lead the dehydrated boy to one of the water stations nearby.

"Hey, what's your name?" I asked the boy.

"Connor. My name's Connor," he said as he quickly drank from a cup.

"Okay, Connor. Murphy is clearly dangerous, and I'm not blaming anything on you, but just try to stay out of his way. I'll talk to Bellamy about this but until then, do what you're told, no questions asked," I sighed.

Connor nodded and continued to drink from his cup of water. I turned around and went looking for Bellamy.

***

Before I talked to Bellamy about Murphy, I was instructed to go into one of the nearby tents to join Clarke, Bellamy, Octavia, and Jasper.

"This knife was made of metal from the drop ship," I heard Clarke say as I walked in.

"Hey, what's- are those... fingers?" I asked with concern plaguing my voice.

"Who else knows about this?" Bellamy asked Octavia, ignoring my question.

"No one. We brought it straight here," Octavia responded.

"Wait, isn't that Murphy's knife? I saw him carrying it around one day and then the next he was asking if I had seen it," I noticed.

Clarke showed everyone in the tent the initials engraved on the inside of the knife, "J.M. John Murphy."

Clarke and I started to head out the tent to address Murphy but Bellamy blocked us, "Be smart about this guys. Look at what we've achieved... the wall, the patrols. Like it or not, thinking the Grounders killed Wells is good for us."

"Bellamy is right. Well, about the 'be smart about this' part. What if it actually wasn't Murphy?" I wondered.

"What do you mean? It's his knife, you said so yourself," Octavia asked.

"Yeah, but I also said he was looking for it. Which could mean someone took it and murdered Wells with it," I replied.

"Why would someone do that?" Jasper asked.

"Someone really  wanted Wells dead. I think we need to investigate it. As much as I hate Murphy, he could be innocent," I defended.

"How are we supposed to prove he's innocent? This isn't the Ark. We don't have cameras or people to even carry out an investigation," Clarke said annoyed.

I sighed, "I don't know."

"Then, down here, it's guilty until proven innocent. Wells was our friend, Athena. Murphy killed him and we deserve justice," Clarke walked out of the tent and headed towards Murphy. "You son of a bitch!"

"What's your problem?" Murphy asked amused.

"Recognize this?" Clarke said as she showed Murphy his knife.

"My knife. Where'd you find it?" Murphy asked, clearly confused.

"Where you dropped it, after you killed Wells," Clarke hissed.

"What? The Grounders killed Wells, not me," Murphy defended.

"Clarke, he obviously didn't do it. It had to have been someone else," I pleaded.

"You threatened to kill him. We all heard you. You hated Wells," Clarke announced.

"Clarke!" I shouted. "Do you not remember that you also hated Wells just a few days ago?"

"Plenty of people hated Wells. His father was the Chancellor that locked us up," Murphy agreed.

"Yeah, but you got in a knife fight with him," Clarke hissed.

"He didn't kill him then, Clarke," I said defeated.

"Tried to kill Jasper, too," Octavia added.

"I already told you. I didn't kill anyone," Murphy said as fear struck his voice.

"I say we float him," Octavia sneered.

"Woah, woah. Revenge is not justice. We can think of something else, guys. If you haven't noticed, we aren't on the Ark anymore," I said trying to get between the crowd forming and Murphy.

Suddenly, some of the boys lunged forward and grabbed Murphy. They tied some rope to a tree and formed a noose. They put a gag in his mouth and tied his hands and feet together. Then, they raised him up to the noose and placed it around his neck.

"Guys! Stop! This is not the Ark! We can create new rules. It shouldn't be this way!" I shouted. "Clarke, do something! You caused this!'

Clarke started to yell at Bellamy, "Don't! Bellamy, stop! Please don't do this."

"This is on you, Blondie. You should've kept your mouth shut," Bellamy said as he kicked the stool from underneath Murphy which caused the noose to tighten.

I tried to cut down the rope but Bellamy grabbed my knife and pushed me out of the way but I didn't stop trying. I tried everything to keep Murphy from dying. I knew he was innocent. He had to be.