T W E N T Y - T H R E E: trust

After talking to Bellamy, I walked to my tent and grabbed my bag that had some food, blankets, and a flashlight. I met Finn and the front gate and he led me towards the Grounder we kept captive.

"So, do you really trust this guy?" I asked.

"Not really but it's Unity Day so I've decided to have a little hope," Finn laughed.

"But what if this is a set up? What if they kill us, Finn?" I wondered.

"Then we die knowing the Grounders will stop at nothing. At least we won't live to see another war destroy Earth again," Finn continued leading me to our unknown destination.

Every now and then I dropped a torn off piece of a blanket onto the forest floor as a marker for Bellamy to follow.

***

When the sun rose, we reached our destination: a bridge overgrown with flora. In the middle of the bridge stood Octavia.

"So this is how this was set up, huh?" I asked no one in particular and then turned my attention solely on Octavia, "Do you trust him?"

Octavia quickly nodded yes without hesitation. "I do."

"Okay. Octavia, please be careful with him and getting involved with the Grounders. If you trust him then I'm sure I can try to trust him too," I smiled.

Finn looked behind Octavia into the dark green trees. "Someone's coming."

Fear instantly flooded my heart and I could feel my pulse race. However, I settled down when I realized it was Lincoln. Octavia ran to Lincoln and they embraced. Lincoln looked at me and nodded his head and gave a small smile which I returned. Within a few minutes of Lincoln's arrival, hoof beats sounded in the distance. Suddenly, two black horses with men on top arrived with a brown and white horse carrying a woman trailing behind.

"Are those..." I started.

"Horses," Finn finished and then he ran up to Lincoln and I followed behind, "We said no weapons!"

"I was told there wouldn't be," Lincoln defended as he stared at the horseman's swords.

"Too late now," I sighed.

I gave my bag to Finn and walked towards the horses with my hands up, showing that I meant no harm and had no weapons. The woman climbed down from her horse and met me halfway.

Once again, fear raced through my veins. The woman was menacing with the black eye makeup and dark clothes.

"Your name is Athena?" the woman asked.

"Yes," I answered.

"My name is Anya," she introduced.

"Nice to meet you, Anya," I said awkwardly, "I believe our people got off to a rough start but we are willing to live together in peace if you are."

"I understand but you started a war you don't know how to end."

"I don't understand. We didn't start anything. One of our people was speared through the chest for no reason."

"No reason? The missiles you launched burned a village to the ground."

"W-We didn't know. We are so sorry. We were trying to send a message to our people in space. We had no idea-"

"You're invaders. Your ship landed in our territory."

"We didn't know anyone was alive down here after the war."

"You knew we were here when you sent an armed raiding party to capture one of us and torture him. These are all acts of war."

"I understand now. That's why we want to end all of this."

"Lincoln said there are more of you coming down, warriors."

"Yes, but there are also farmers, doctors, engineers. We can help each other thrive but that can not be possible if we are at war."

"Can you promise that these new arrivals won't attack us? That they will respect the terms you and I agree on?"

"I promise that I will convince to accept our terms."

"Why would I agree to an alliance that your people can break the moment they get here?"

"I can work something out with them. They will-"

"Athena, run! Run!" I heard a voice yell below me and then realized it was Jasper.

Immediately, Jasper began shooting into the trees as arrows whizzed by. Before I realized it, Anya pulled out a knife and was about to stab me when she was shot in the shoulder. I looked down and made eye contact with Bellamy who had his gun pointed to where Anya stood before she ran back to her horse. I then snapped back into reality and ran towards Finn, Lincoln, and Octavia. The arrows continued fly by as we passed Lincoln and grabbed Octavia.

"Run! Don't stop till you are behind your walls!" Lincoln shouted as we continued to run.

We joined Raven, Jasper and Bellamy and ran towards our camp. We reached the front gate by nightfall. We stood outside and tried to catch our breath.

"Got something to say?" Bellamy threatened Finn.

"Yeah, I told you no guns!" Finn shouted.

"You know I didn't trust the Grounders, Finn. I was right, too. So do not blame any of this on me," I yelled back.

"Why didn't you tell me what you were up to?" Raven questioned Finn.

"I tried, but you were too busy making bullets," Finn defended.

"Look, Finn. The Grounders had us surrounded. They had weapons. They could have killed us-" I started.

"You don't know that! Jasper fired the first shot!" Finn yelled.

"You ruined everything," Octavia addressed Jasper and then ran into the camp.

Jasper followed behind her, whispering some not-so-nice words.

"Well, if weren't at war then, we're sure as hell are now. You didn't have to trust the Grounders. You just had to trust me," Finn said disappointed and then he walked into the camp with Raven.

"Like I said, best Unity Day ever," Bellamy said sarcastically.

I laughed. "Finn is one of my best friends but I'm not sure I can trust him anymore. He didn't talk to me-" I was interrupted by a loud explosion behind me.

Bellamy and I both turned around and watched a bright white light fall from the light. "Looks like Abby's early," Bellamy suggested.

Even though I was still angry at Abby, I was grateful that she was coming down. She's like my mother and I could use her right now more than ever. 

We continued to watch the ship as it turned from the white light to a dark orange one. "Wait, too fast, no parachute? They're going to crash."

The ship disappeared behind two hills in the distance. I thought the ship landed safely but then a large smoke filled cloud rose and seemed to touch the sky. I dropped to my knees as tears filled in my eyes.

The thoughts of innocent people dying, our only chance of aid, and my step-in mom's death plagued my heart and I began crying.