E X T R A three: kids

A few hours into tending to the sick delinquents, I grew exhausted. My legs were numb from standing up for so long and my hands were stained red with blood. Murphy, now doing significantly better after his return from the torture of the Grounders, instructed me to sit down and rest. He brought me a cup of water and a wet cloth to wash the blood off.

"Why are you helping me, Murphy? I banished you," I questioned.

"Because you could have killed me instead of banishing me," he explained as he helped clean the dirt and blood off of my face.

He sat down next to me when he finished cleaning my face and looked around the room at the sick delinquents. "So, how'd you get arrested, John Murphy?"

"I burned down the arresting officer's office," he said with a smirk. "What about you, Princess? How did a pretty girl like you end up in the sky box?"

"Do you really want to know?" I questioned to which he eagerly nodded. "Well, long story short, I killed my mom."

Murphy didn't say anything. He just nodded and then got up and checked on a teen that began choking on his own blood.

"That was probably the most calm reaction I have ever had after telling someone that. You're not going to ask why or anything?" I wondered.

Murphy shrugged his shoulders as he turned the choking teen onto his side. "We all have our demons, don't we? You didn't judge or ask questions as to why I burned down the office so I won't ask you any."

In that moment, I realized that although Murphy had this tough exterior, he was still just a scared kid. We were all just scared kids. The crimes we committed were because we were scared, we resisted the arrest because we were scared, we were scared when they sent us down to the Ground, and now we are scared of dying.

We're just kids.

We're just kids.