T W E N T Y - F O U R: symptoms

After realizing what happened, Bellamy and I immediately put together a group of kids to go look for any survivors. We arrived at the crash site by morning. Parts of the ship were scattered around a deep crater. Small fires were lit and there were burned skeletons but not enough to fill the whole ship.

I ran up to Clarke who insisted on going in case her mom was on the ship. "Hey, Clarke. You doing okay?"

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine. I haven't seen anything that reminds me of my mom yet," she responded.

"Yeah, I don't think she was on there to begin with, Clarke," I informed.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"Well, the ship came down too fast and with no parachute so I'm guessing people were in a hurry. Also, there's only a few bodies so I'm guessing not a lot of people made it on the ship before it took off," I clarified.

"That could be true. But I'm not going to stop worrying unless I've looked through everything here," she sighed and walked away towards an engine.

"Stay sharp. Grounder retaliation for what happened on the bridge isn't a matter of why, it's a matter of when," Bellamy announced.

"Can you blame them?" Finn asked.

"No, I blame you," Bellamy sneered.

"Guys, stop. Finn, if we didn't bring guns then it wouldn't have been a fair shot," I defended.

After that, it remained silent as everyone rummaged through the destruction. I walked over to a part of the ship that was releasing a pink liquid that had a strong smell. 

"Hey, Raven. You might wanna come check this out," I yelled for Raven's attention.

She ran over and immediately pushed me back. "Be careful. Hydrazine becomes highly unstable in its nonsolid form. If this stuff meets fire, we're all pink mist."

She dipped a rock in the pink liquid and shouted a warning before throwing it towards one of the fires that was still lit. When the rock touched the flame, it immediately exploded into a huge cloud of smoke and fire.

"All right. Let's move out! This stuff is clearly dangerous. We need to get back home before dark," I ordered everyone and they obeyed. 

We trekked back towards camp and made it just after nightfall. We were greeted by dozens of teenagers yelling at different times. But the one name I heard over and over again was "Murphy." Bellamy and I eventually found out that Murphy was back in camp through one of the delinquents and were led to the dropship where he was being held. When we walked in, Murphy sat in the corner, shaking. His face was bloodied and his arms and any skin visible was cut into or had some type of wound.

"Everyone except Connor and Derek out... Now!" Bellamy ordered.

"He claims he was with the Grounders," Derek informed.

"We caught him trying to sneak back into camp," Connor concluded.

"I wasn't sneaking. I was running from the Grounders," Murphy whispered.

"Anyone see Grounders?" Bellamy asked the two boys.

They both shook their heads "no."

"Well, in that case-" Bellamy raised his gun at Murphy.

"Woah, Blake. Let's think about this for a second," I said as I got in between him and Murphy.

"We were clear on what would happen if he came back," Bellamy said as he pushed me out of the way and raised his gun again,