E X T R A two: scared

As the Unity Day celebrations died down and the effects of alcohol had started to diminish on me, I snuck out of the camp to get away from the horny and still drunk teenagers.

I didn't go far in fear of Grounders but I didn't stay close because I needed a break.

I found a moss-covered log and sat there, taking a deep breath of the fresh air. The sun had already set and nightlife had come out to greet me. Florescent butterflies jumped from tree to tree as crickets and frogs chirped below them. I was so focused on them that I almost didn't hear the crunching of leaves and snapping of twigs from behind me. I slowly slid my hand into my jacket pocket and wrapped my cold fingers around the handle of my knife. As the sound of the footsteps came closer, I pulled the knife out, ready for an attack by a Grounder.

Before the footsteps got too close, a voice called out, "Athena! What are you doing out here?"

I turned around and saw Bellamy Blake walking towards me with a woried look on his face. I quietly slipped the knife back into my jacket pocket and turned back around to look at the butterflies.

Bellamy sat down next to me on the log and faced the butterflies as well. "What are you doing out here?" he repeated. "You know it's dangerous."

I sighed and then turned to look at his muscular features. "I needed a break. Knowing that some of those kids could die within a few days is... Terrifying."

Bellamy nodded and turned his attention towards me. "Well, they'll die fighting for their freedom. They'll die knowing that they helped."

"But the thing is... They're just kids. Most of them aren't even eighteen yet. Half of them were locked in the Sky Box for most of their lives and are finally happy. I can't- I just- I'm scared, Bellamy. I'm scared," I admitted.

Bellamy scooted closer and wrapped an arm around my shoulder, bringing me to closer to him. "I am too. I'm terrified, actually. I'm afraid of losing you, my sister, and all of the other kids in there."

"It's hard being the leader, huh?" I asked with a chuckle.

"Damn right it is," Bellamy replied and laughed.

"Bellamy! Athena! It's time for a Unity Day speech!" a teenager shouted behind us.

I laughed at the teen and then stood up. "Speaking of leading, duty calls," I turned away and was about to start walking back towards camp when Bellamy grabbed my arm and pulled me into his chest.

"No matter what happens when they attack, I want you know that I couldn't have done any of this without you. This place wouldn't have prospered like it is now without you," he said as he continued to hug me.

"Thank you, Bellamy. I couldn't have done anything without you either," I smiled and pulled away from the hug.

Arm in arm, we walked back to the celebration at the dropship.