T W E N T Y - T W O: unity

Within a few days, Bellamy and I had most of the camp trained in handling the guns. Our camp was also starting to look significantly better than it did when the storm hit and our fence was stronger. We had been working hard every day since the Grounder escaped but today everyone got the break they deserved.

Today was Unity Day. Raven and her incredibly amazing mechanical skills set up a screen and speakers that would broadcast the Unity Day celebration that was being held on the Ark.

I stood on the ramp of the dropship and watched over the delinquents as they prepared food for today. I guess I had my chronic resting bitch face on when Bellamy approached me.

"What's the matter, Princess? You don't like Unity Day?" he asked.

I laughed. "The only thing I remember about Unity Day before I was locked up was that my brother would try to sneak some alcohol from my mom's collection. Then, we would get caught and would be beaten until the only alcohol we would even think about would be from our mom's breath as she breathed on our faces when she yelled. So, no I don't like Unity Day."

"I'm sorry you had to go through that," Bellamy said as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder and awkwardly hugged me, "And you had a brother? Is that why you were locked up?"

"He's my twin. We were the last set of twins on the Ark before they set the rule of no more than one child. He got locked up before I did and I saw him every now and then in the Sky Box. I haven't seen him on the Ground yet but I'm still hopeful," I responded.

"What's his name?"

"His name is-"

"Oh, yeah! Monty strikes again! Call this batch Unity Juice!" Jasper interrupted me with his shouts of glee.

All of the delinquents quickly gathered around Jasper with cups, thermoses and even their hands. I laughed and Bellamy joined the group. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Octavia running along the perimeter of the fence and then slipped through one of the gates. I made sure everyone was distracted, especially Bellamy, and made sure Octavia went unnoticed.

Soon, night arrived and the celebration of Unity Day continued. About half way through the Ark's celebration, the communications went dead and we haven't been able to contact them since. No one seemed to care, especially me since I had to take part in that dreaded Unity Day parade many years ago, and we continued well into the night with feasts and Unity Juice.

I noticed Bellamy by himself, overlooking the teenagers having fun and I joined him.

"Best Unity Day ever," he greeted.

"I have to agree with you there. But, the communications are still down," I agreed and watched the teenagers cheer and dance, "Do you think now is a good time to have a party? The Grounder is out there and with all of these kids buzzed, they could attack right now."

"He's probably home right now, putting together a lynch mob," he said coolly and I reacted with worry, "Relax. I got security covered. Go get a drink or something. Have some fun, Princess!"

I laughed. "All right, all right! But, on one condition; you gotta have a few drinks too and at least dance with me. We deserve it Bellamy Blake," I grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the bottle of Unity Juice.

I poured Bellamy and myself a cup of the alcohol and we both drank it all in one gulp. After quite a few drinks, I got Bellamy to dance with me and a few of the other kids. But, just when I started, I was stopped by Finn who pulled me aside.

"What's up, Finn? Is your wound okay?" I asked worriedly.

"Let's take a walk," Finn said as he grabbed my elbow and pulled me away from the kids, "I need you to come with me but I can't tell you why."

"Why can't you tell me?" I asked and Finn ignored my question and started pushing me towards the gate but I resisted, "No, I'm not going anywhere until you tell me what's going on."

"I set up a meeting with the Grounders," Finn said with a look of defeat on his face.

"What the fuck, Finn? A meeting? Why didn't you talk to me about this first?" I questioned.

"Because I knew you wouldn't approve of it."

"Damn right I wouldn't approve of it. They tried to kill you, Jasper, and probably will be coming for the rest of us next!"

"You have to trust me. I talked to the Grounder we held captive. His name is Lincoln."

"He can speak English?"

"Athena, focus. That's not important. If we want to live in peace-"

"There is no peace with the Grounders, Finn. They did not hesitate to attack us."

"Can you think of any better way to stop the bloodshed?"

"N-No. But, how do you know that they will agree to the peace?"

"It's a long shot, Princess, but this is our world now. We can do better the first time around. I don't know if they will agree but we can try."

"All right. But if we go, we have to bring backup."

"No, we aren't bringing guns. That was the deal and we have to give it a fair shot if we are to do this."

"Okay. I'll get my stuff and meet up with you," I said as I turned around and looked for Bellamy.

I found Bellamy emerging from a nearby tent. "Princess! Where'd you run off to with Finn?"

"Look, we need to talk," I stated, "Finn set up a meeting with the Grounders. I'm going to talk to them."

"What? Do you figure that impaling people with spears is some kind of innuendo for peace? Have you lost your fucking mind?" Bellamy started to get angry.

"It's worth a shot, Blake. We have to live with them now and I can't bear to see anymore of our people ending up dead," I defended.

"They'll probably end up gutting you and using as a warning," Bellamy scoffed.

"If that happens then prepare to fight but I'm not going to be able to live with myself if I could have gotten us one step closer to peace and I didn't take it. So, will you follow us to the meeting? Finn doesn't know and make sure he doesn't find out," I sighed and looked Bellamy straight in the eye, "And Blake, bring guns."