one

PART 1; DEPRIVED

"I'm so tired, but I can't sleep. Standing on the edge of something much too deep.
-Sarah McLachlan"

CHAPTER 1: KYLE

"KYLE, COME ON. IT'S LATE AND you look like crap. Rehearsals start in an hour." a voice roared through the phone as my eyes remain shut, dull shafts of light trickled through my blinds alerting me that it was morning.

Opening one eye, I peered at my surroundings until my eyes met with the glowing fuzzy numbers of my alarm clock. "10:36am, damn." I grumbled picking up my phone and speaking into the reciever. "Firstly, i'm devastatingly good looking and secondly, I'm on my way."

"Kyle, I know you're still half asleep and laying down on your floor." he spoke; I swear you could hear the smirk on his smug face. How does he know these things? Groaning, I pushed myself up and ran my fingers through my now-dyed jet black hair.

"Alright, i'm moving, dickhead." I muttered hanging up and throwing my phone on the collection of pillows placed on the floor.

After showering and dressing, I made my way through my studio apartment, placing my worn out black fedora on my head and grabbing my keys and guitar.

RING.

RING.

RING.

"Hello?" I muttered knowing Evan would skin me alive seeing as I was late, again for the umpteenth time.

"KYLE, you bastard. You were supposed to be here like two hours ago," Griffin, my other band mate chuckled on the other side of the phone. "How far you anyway? Evan's vain in his neck is doing that thing again. "

I winced as I hurried down the busy London streets towards the Roxy pub and bar, nearly knocking everyone down in my path. "Is it pulsing again?" I asked ripping open the door to the Roxy. "And I'm here anyway." I hang up, walking through the quiet vintage pub, the smell of cigarettes and stale beer lingered in the place.

"Kyle? Kyle? Answer me bro, ARE YOU ALIVE?" Griffin yelled into the phone. His hand stuck in a Doritos bag.

"Yes, I can hear you, Griff." I laugh standing on the small stage in front of him.

"Looks like someone decided to show up. " I grimace at his tone.

"Hey, Ev, buddy. How's it hangin'?" I ask with a small smile on my face.

His left eye twitched. Shit. "You walk in at 1:06pm and thats all you have to say for yourself? Why did you even take so long? You literally live 10 minutes from here. "

I grinned, "You can rush perfection, Ev." I say tapping his cheek and grabbing my guitar.

He glared at me, mumbling a string of incoherent curse words before stalking back and grabbing his bass. "Just shut up and sing. Victor booked us in tonight for the 7pm show," I grinned. Perfect. Crowds pour in by then. Vic, you're bloody amazing, mate.

"Let's open with Wonderwall," I state grabbing the microphone and staring at the empty chairs and stools scattered around the Roxy. Almost every night, crowds would scatter in flocking towards the stage. People cheering and nodding along to whoever is on stage. I close my eyes imagining tonights crowd, people cheering for us - The Dirtbags - Okay, perhaps the name is still kinda bad, and we may have been heavily influenced by Wheatus but in our defence, we were only prepubescent, gawky fourteen year olds who knew fuckall about making music and how many girls - or guys, I don't judge- you could get. I mean, you didn't see a herd of girls flock to Albert Einstein, if you know what I mean.

Grabbing the neck of my guitar, I sat down on the stool and brought the mic closer to my lips, strumming a few chords here and there whilst humming Oasis' Wonder Wall.

"I thought you lads were starting with one of your own songs?" Vic, our manager shouted from backstage.

"Nah, Ev thinks its best to start off with ancient songs just to get a feel of the crowd. " Griffin yelled, licking the Doritos dust off of his now-orange finger tips and twirling his drumstick in the other hand. I grimaced.

"What do you mean, 'ancient'? I was not much younger than you lot when it first came out." Vic grumbled, dragging one of the amps from out the back on stage.

"Exactly, ancient. You're like ninety-five or something." Griffin quipped. Evan and I glanced at each other and stifled a laugh.

"Im thirty-nine, you dickhead!" Vic growled pushing passed me and Evan who were currently laughing our heads off.

"Well someone's obviously on their period and their name rhymes with Richter," Griffin yelled to a currently insulted Victor, why does he even bother? Everyone knows not to bother with Griffin. He's like a persistent itch that you can't scratch.

"Okay guys; let's just start now, shall we?"

•••

18:56pm

I STARED AT MY REFLECTION  looking back at me, adrenaline pumped through my veins and a thin layer of sweat lined my brows. My blue eyes looked slightly tired. I'm ready. Kyle Matthew James, you had better go out there and fucking smash it. I yelled to my inner self. "Show time." I winked grabbing my signature fedora and ran towards the stage where the rest of my band mates were.

"Not late? That's the first. " Griffin teased twirling his drumsticks for the second time today.

"I'm late for a lot of things, but never for this band." I defended.

"Band practice today? Yesterdays after party? Last weeks --" Evan cut in, listing the things I've apparently been late to.

"Okay I was only late today because last night's party ran slightly longer than expected. Speaking of which, how'd you know I fell asleep on the floor?"

"Well--"

"I'm proud to present, one of the Roxy's long time favourites, The Dirtbags!" Vic yelled into the microphone.

Evan and I looked at each other, show time.

------

I realise its basically been a year since I uploaded but better late than never, right? Ha. Yeah.. Dedicated to my best friend, Elle. (@Fr4gilexBr0ken)😘

VOTE. COMMENT. FOLLOW

 FOLLOW