eighteen

comment, vote, share
➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

CHAPTER 18| EVELYN

I WOKE UP TO BEADS OF SWEAT rolling down my head, the warm haze of the sun crept in through the small pockets of light from the few bits of exposed light where the curtains didn't quite cover the windows, my head was pounding and my hair and body was still sticky from last night's alcohol, something that I hoped my liver would forgive me for. The apartment floor was cold against my bare feet as I padded through the hallways looking for Kyle. The sheets next to me empty, barely any recollection of last night I was wondering how on earth I managed to get home after drowning my thoughts in alcohol. Although I looked like I had bathed in a Thames-sized vat of beer and other spirits. Never. Again. I sighed wiping my eyes. The soft hum of my mini radio was playing in one room and the balcony door was ajar.

I had finally managed to get Kyle to agree to buying a cheap gimmicky shower radio from a pound shop when we went past one when visiting Slater a while ago. Grabbing one of the blankets from the fort and my beat up converses I padded outside to reveal Kyle who was surprisingly not smoking. His eyes looked tired, purplish bags peaked from under his eyes. His hair surprisingly still full of volume. His brown roots peaking through the black dye but it didn't look horrible, it somehow added more character.

Ignoring the cold chill of the morning I sat next to him allowing my blanket to cover him letting his cold arms press against mine. "Allegedly, Elvis used to dye his hair black." I spoke through the silence making his cerulean blue eyes look up into to mine, his cheeks flushed from the cold, he looked shocked but a smile suddenly spread on his face making us both chuckle, his hand subconsciously running through his hair.

"Will Elvis be our always?" He joked knowing that I had been re-reading the only two John Green books that was tucked away in the library. My cheeks flamed red as I nudged him

"Elvis?"

"Elvis." He finished letting out a laugh again, his laugh was so light and carefree it was as If his laugh has been whisked away in the wind, it was melodic unlike mine which resembled a donkey.

After a while, Kyle stood up, shattering the comfortable silence between us. The thin blanket fell from both his and my shoulders as he stretched, arching his back slightly exposing his pale skin from under his plain tee. A grin etched into his face suddenly grabbing my hand and pulling me up.

"So, I was thinking that we could go try and find your brother today." He said grinning, happiness spread through me although a familiar tug of sadness tugged at my heart I ignored it shocked by his words.

"Really? How? When?" I grinned letting the blanket gather at me feet, not caring about the frightfully cold winter.

"Woah, slow down. If you stop jumping, I'll explain it to you." He rolled his eyes putting his hands over my shoulders preventing me from moving. I nodded patiently waiting for him to explain.

"Well, I was thinking we'd take a trip to Kensington & Chelsea to see my dear old Slater. He said he had some ideas about the whole ordeal."

"When are we leaving?" I asked suddenly feeling my body tremble with excitement.

He casted his gaze down at his imaginary watch, "about half an hour so hurry up." He said bumping my hip with his, sauntering into the apartment. I followed suit feeling myself bubble with excitement, I had this weird burst of excitement and happiness that almost made the hangover seem bearable.