thirteen

| CHAPTER 13: EVELYN.

Kyle and I sat opposite each other, blankets draped over our shoulders and a mug of warm Twining's English Breakfast tea in my mug and black coffee in his. My eyes followed the circling steam as it arose from my cup then evaporated into thin air, Kyle's usually styled jet black hair laying chaotic, unruly and matted against his forehead, his eyes bloodshot, ruining the pale ice blue of his eyes. "I'm not going to force you to talk, Eve." He muttered breaking the silence, taking a long sip of his coffee, I nodded watching his Adam's apple bob up and down as he spoke.

It had been a month since Kyle let me into his home (for free mind you) and this huge overwhelming sack of guilt pushed my shoulders further and further. I felt a wave of guilt and sadness tinge at my heartstrings since I hadn't gone to look for Ezra, the sole purpose of me being here but also guilty because I can't possibly repay Kyle for all that he's done. Between lending me a few shirt and his old hook ups shirts and trousers- he tried offering me their panties an bras which I so gladly declined - and there nothing I could do, and after talking to Matt he luckily offered to ask someone he knew to give me a job in the local cafe.

"I'm nervous..." I began, all the words beginning to die in my throat.

A throaty chuckle escaped his lips, a hand tearing through his long locks. "Of talking to me? You've been doing so just fine for the past-"

"No-no. Not of you, I got a job interview."

His smile dropped slightly, he licked his lips trying to regain his composure. "Oh? That's great, congratulations."

"I need to find a way to pay you back for everything you've done for me," I rambled letting a curtain of hair fall into my face, blocking my view from his eyes that were looking into the darkness of his half empty coffee mug.

"You don't need to worry about paying me rent or anything, Evelyn."

My head snapped up, my eyes focusing on him. "Yes, I do. Even if I don't help with rent, surly I can help some other way? Buy groceries or something, I mean I can't exactly cook but ordering crappy take out or going to Blue Moon Cafe every Friday isn't exactly healthy- no matter how delicious their meals are." I reasoned earning a short nod in response. "Besides, I'll be able to afford some better clothes- no offence to Joanna or Morgan." I said looking down at Joanna's fairly tight River Island tee and Morgan's oversized ripped skinny jeans that I was currently sporting.

"Joanna and Morgan?" He looked at me puzzled, I rolled my eyes.

"Your little threesome." I said coyly taking a sip of my now lukewarm tea. The tips of Kyle's ears glowed red, his neck and cheeks following suit.

"You heard that?"

"I think the whole building heard that. I'm surprised that you didn't make Mrs. Rodrigues come up here and complain about the noise." I sighed. "Next time you feel like testing out the furniture, please make sure I'm actually asleep?" I grimaced remembering those awful high pitched screams coming from the gaming/chill out area.

"Don't worry, won't happen again...at least not here." He chuckled playfully winking at me. His smile disappeared again, his eyes cast down at me, his lips turning into a serious frown.

"You're trying to distract me, what's really on your mind, Evelyn?" Damn it. The one thing I noticed with Kyle is that after the first week and a half that I stayed here he seemed to be fairly observant. Not in a creepy way, of course but in the way that it's as if I was a delicate flower that he was trying to make sure no one trampled upon. My lips felt chapped, my throat thick and for the second time that day I didn't know how to place the words or how to force them out. "If you don't get it off your chest, you'll never feel like you can breathe, Eve." He said gently placing a hand over mind. His hands felt warm against my cool skin, my fingertips tingling.