twenty-nine

comment, vote, share
                            ➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳
PROLOGUE TO FINDING ASPEN (Slater's story) IS UPLOADED. TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK?

CHAPTER 29| KYLE

IT HADN'T TAKEN LONG FOR THE ADRENALINE to wear off as I sat back in the A & E waiting room, my head resting upwards as I counted the ceiling tiles for the umpteenth time. "There's an uneven number of tiles on the ceiling and it's bugging me." I grumbled tapping my leg to an unnecessary beat trying to ignore the pain that was shooting around my skull. We had been waiting for just under an hour, Evan was already pacing in a particularly crowded room and had already had two
cups of coffee from the vending machine which couldn't have tasted good, it didn't smell good either. "Evan, sit down. Everyone knows the maximum you'll wait here is 4 hours."

He grunted but sat down, Eve sat beside me playing with the strands of my hair absentmindedly staring at the floor. "Are you having fun there, mate?"

"Define 'fun'?" She grinned. A tall woman walked out, her long mousy brown hair pulled back into a bun, clad in scrubs a clipboard pressed firmly to her chest as she scanned the room.

"Kyle Matthew." She nodded motioning me to follow behind her, Evan and Eve followed after.

"You just can't help yourself, can you?" She laughed as we entered the Bay Area and told me to sit down to examine me. "What did you say this time?"

Evan smirked leaning on the guest chair that Eve was sitting in watching us. "I love how you accuse me of starting this."

She rolled her eyes, "Because you haven't changed, Kyle. You're the same smart ass that grew up across the road from us." She muttered tiling my head to get a better look at my nose.

"Wait, you all grew up together? I thought you all met in a strip club?" Evelyn asked. Someone's read Penelope's interview blog.

"Well sort of," Evan began. "Kyle's two years younger than Kathy and were in the same high school which is how they met, we hadn't realised he lived across from us. We did meet them outside a strip club we were all just underage and Griffin got a fake I. D. from who knows where when we took a trip to Camden. We kinda just exaggerated the story a little cause it sounded less cliche and a lot better."

"So you lied?"

"Define 'lie'?" I replied knowing she was glaring at me. I could feel it.

. "I'm Kathryn by the way." She grinned over to Evelyn. "I'd shake your hand but I've got Kyle's blood on my gloves." She laughed once she had finished my examination.

"It's cool, I'm Evelyn."

"You're too pretty to be dating my brother, definitely not Slater's type, too nice for Matt and not gross enough for Griffin...so I'm going to guess you're dating Kyle? It's nice to meet you." She observed.

Did she just.

Damn you, Kathy.

Evelyn stuttered making me wince. "I'm not dating anyone, but you're right. She's too pretty for Evan." I winked at him earning a slap around the head from both siblings.

"This is no way to treat a patient!" I exclaimed rubbing my head. "I could have a concussion or internal bleeding for all we know." I hissed.

Kathy rolled her eyes, "Well as your doctor I can safely tell you that you don't have a concussion or a broken nose for that matter. It's just a little swollen." She said asking for Evelyn to push the trolley of equipment closer to her whilst she tilted my head. "Now what'd you say to make Matt hit you?" She asked.

Evan sat up suddenly with his brows furrowed, "How'd you know it was Matt?"

Kathryn scoffed. "It's obvious, you don't have any signs of bruising on your knuckle, besides you wouldn't hit him. You'd hit a wall then storm off for 36 hours, Griffin as much as he likes to push your buttons he usually knows when to stop, so that leads to either someone's said or done something that you didn't like towards someone or tried to take advantage of them but the fact that those two clowns aren't here leads me to think that it must be Matt."

"Good deducting skills there, Sherlock." I muttered.

"Please if anything I'd be Mycroft. I'm older and smarter." She laughed to herself before her face turned serious. "You're done, now don't get in anymore arguments or fights. You're not 17 anymore, you both should know better. Especially if you're not going to knock him one back. It was nice meeting you, Evelyn, Ev I'll see you tonight." She grinned kissing both Evan and I on the head and leaving.

"Why do I feel like I just came out of the principles office?" I asked to no one in particular as we exited the hospital, as usual neither of them answered. Ev sang to himself on his way to drop us off and Eve oddly said nothing.

And that scared me.

"Are you okay?" I asked looking into the mirror, she gave a weak smile and nodded.

Lie.

Why is she lying?

"Thanks for the lift." Evan nodded to us making sure that I had got upstairs safely before leaving without a word. Evelyn sat on a stool opposite the island rolling an orange under her hand for a few moments, her jaw clenched and her eyes focused.

"Eve, what's wrong?"

***
Kathryn seems nice, don't cha think?

Side note: is this the calm before the storm?

Why is she upset? And I had to put a Sherlock reference in there. Series 4 only premiered a few days ago and I feel too many emotions.