fifteen

| CHAPTER 14: KYLE

JEALOUSY WASN'T SOMETHING THAT I felt often but seeing those two...something loomed over me and I swear I wanted to punch Matt's smug little face. How crazy is that? I paced around the kitchen for a few moments combing my fingers through my hair undeniably messing it up trying to ignore and subside the sudden anger boiling up in me. "Kyle?" Evelyn's honey-like voice called breaking me out of my trance momentarily.

"Yeah?" I looked up to the door way, she was in one of my hoodies and a pair of my old pyjama trousers, her hair disheveled and she was gnawing on her lip. I had learned she had done that when she was nervous and wanted to say something. Pushing myself off of the island table I walked towards her but still kept quite a distance. "You want to say something, so say it."

"Are you alright?" She said in almost a whisper. I nodded in response before trying to excuse myself and walked passed her in attempt to shake off my embarrassment. I had no reason not right to feel jealous, Evelyn's just my room mate. That's it, I barely know her enough to have feels for her. "Then why won't you look or talk to me, Kyle?" She sighed grabbing hold of my arm.

Two options here Kyle: Either walk away and do like Taylor Swift does and 'shake it off' or ignore what she's saying, say you're fine and try not to punch Matt in the face. After a moment I paused deciding that my second option would probably be a lot easier and I pulled my arm out of her sudden grip, ignoring the cool sensation from her hands not being there anymore. "Evelyn, I'm great, okay? Never better, I mean come on. Look at me?" I faked a laugh and walked over to the chill out zone where Matt was telling a story about his travel around Europe and decided to stand next to Victor and ignore the concerned look on Evan's face and the hurt look on Evelyn's.

"So, Vic. The show's tomorrow at Andy's?" I asked clearing my throat trying to move the awkward tension. The bald man coughed, pushing up his glasses before taking another sip of his tea.

"Yes, uh right where was I?" His fingers fumbled over his notebook before he paused to read a line. "Ah, yes. Okay so Andy's coffee shop and bar tomorrow at 7pm, I'm thinking a similar set list to our last show at the Roxy? Everyone was impressed and I gotta couple of talent scouts booked out up for you guys." I nodded in agreement waiting for him to continue. His fingers nervously combed over what's left of the crown of hair on his head before he spoke. "Kyle, there's a slight issue with tomorrow's show."

Griffin and Evan glanced at each other then to Matt then back at Victor before all looking at me. "What? Stop with all the fucking looks. Just talk." I say suddenly frustrated and their secrecy, they never keep secrets, especially because Griffin's got a big mouth and Vic and Evan feel too guilty.

"Christa is going to be there. Andy's hired her as one of the set staff last minute since Joe pulled out." Evan said looking at the floor. I sat there dumbfounded looking past all of them. A whirlwind of frustration, anger and hurt welled up inside me. Memories of Christa faded through my head and bubbled over to the surface.

"It's fine." I shrugged "I mean it's all about the music right? Even if my bitch of an ex is going to be there, nothing can stop me from playing. She was at the
first show, probably has been to all of them knowing her." I said walking past them before going on to the balcony ignoring Evelyn's confused face and Evan's stone cold rueful smile.

I let the November wind kiss my cheeks as I lit another cigarette. The wind consumed me turning my body numb but in all honestly I was grateful for the lack of feeling. The red embers blew past me as he wind grew harsher almost putting it out. A warmness suddenly covered my arms stopping me from feeling the numbness that I ached. A brown haired girl sat next to me, an arched smile on her lips.