nineteen

comment, vote, share
                    ➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

CHAPTER 19| KYLE

EVELYN PAUSED, HER HAND PLACED HESITANTLY on the door to Arlo's door that he had left open for us. "Evelyn, this is called a door, you do remember to use one, right?" I asked giving her a nudge at the sudden weirdness in behaviour. Her arched brows furrowed, her peach lips pulled into a frown as if she was having an inward battle with herself. "What's wrong, little- Evelyn." I caught myself after last night I didn't want to say anything that may trigger off any memories of last night. I was more than pleased knowing she didn't remember the confession, and more or less relieved that she didn't remember our almost kiss.

"Nothing, nothing. I'm just nervous." She sighed face palming and turning towards me, her face defeated. "It's pathetic, I know. Nothing's even happening and I'm already over complicating an non existent situation." A humourless laugh escaped her lips. My finger grazed her chin making her look into my eyes as I spoke seriously.

"You are not pathetic, do you hear me?" Her breath hitched as her ash coloured eyes pierced through mine and nodded.

"Yes."

"Good," I grinned offering my hand. "Now come on, you'll be fine. You've got me, remember that. Elvis?"

A smile burst into her face as she accepted my hand. "Elvis. We probably shouldn't do that, It's a shitty way to rip of John Green."

"Agreed." I laughed intertwining our fingers as I navigated us through Arlo's small house and walking into his room. The brunette boy laid haphazardly on bed, a cigarette placed in his mouth nodding slightly out of time to an old Beatles album. "It's about time you listened to decent music." I piped making Slater's eyes snap up towards mine, his glasses slightly cracked and foggy, his lips parted and his dark hair disheveled almost resembling a cross between the basket case and high Brian from The Breakfast Club. He looked like a mess.

"Kyle, what took you so long, you bastard?" He grinned giving me a nod and moving from his place on the bed to towards us. "And who's this?" He asked grinning towards Evelyn who was hiding behind her hair.

"Off limits-" I began before being elbowed in the ribs by Evelyn, I glared down her just to receive an innocent adorable grin back.

"I'm Evelyn." She introduced extending her free hand towards him to shake his hand. Arlo being the fucking annoying twat he is, kissed her hand giving me a wink and coy look.

"It's a pleasure, I'm sure Kyle told you who I am." He grinned pulling away from her making my grip on her hand tighten slightly.

She's not yours, Kyle. I repeated to myself attempting to push down the odd feelings I was having although they didn't subside, just taunt me further before I completely pulled away from her and shoved my hands in my pockets.

"So, Slater. You were saying about helping track down Evelyn's brother?" I said suddenly clearing my throat ignoring the look that Evelyn was giving me, I crouched down next to him on the floor.

He feebly pushed up his glasses nodding. "Yeah, I was thinking about reporting him as missing but then remembered that he's not missing, you both just got separated when you guys were younger and probably got adopted or fostered by two separate set of parents and maybe if we find whoever took care of him, we will find him." He summarised as all of our eyes looked towards Evelyn. "If Evelyn's okay with this of course."

She nodded rapidly blinking. "Yeah, sure. I just want Ezra back." Her fingers played with the loose bit of thread that was poking from her dungarees.

It felt like hours had gone by before Slater had slapped his laptop screen closed and pushed his glasses off in frustration. "Why isn't this working?" He muttered to himself continuously before placing his head tiredly into his palms.

"Slate, this isn't like a TV show, a movie or a video game. These things take time, and as smart as you are you can't expect things to work or just happen straight away. As long as you've tried and put effort in, I'm sure Evelyn is just grateful enough just to have someone on her side, alright bud?" I said patting him on the back and looking up at Evelyn, she had on Arlo's old Walkman and headphones and was dancing around (kind of terribly) whilst reading a vintage copy of a magazine with her lips parted slightly. Her hair whisking by her cheeks with her turn and bop she made. I think she was astounded by Arlo's vintage memorabilia that was scattered around the room. Even he himself dressed like he was straight from The Outsiders. I couldn't help but smile at her, she looked so damn peaceful and it was beautiful.

"Erm Kyle, do you mind?" Slater said pushing my hand off of his back I quickly did so ignoring the flush of my cheeks. "Are you blushing?" He grinned coyly.

"Fuck no, it's cold. Brr" I lied rubbing my palms against each other and blowing them for 'warmth' when in reality I just wanted to stare at her a little more...just not in a creepy way. I wanted to take her hand and dance with her, and talk without much of a purpose and for her to be as carefree with me but I can't. I cleared my throat looking at Slater.

"Lets go for a smoke." He pipes, grabbing his laptop and glasses from Arlo's carpeted floor.

"But you do-"

"Smoke. Now." He gave me a look pointing to the door, I nodded before staggering over to Evelyn, almost frightening her as I placed my hands on her waist.

"Eve, I'll be right out the front. I'm just gonna nip out for a cig." I said kissing her head before turning to Arlo who was re-reading a 1940's version of Beano. "Arlo, take care of my girl, do you hear me?" He replied waving the comic before trying to find his page again.

Rolling my eyes, Slater and I walked back towards the front door, I leaned against the entrance to a small alleyway of Arlo's cul-de-sac. "So, 'your girl', huh?" Slater winked as I placed the cigarette into my mouth.

"Fuck off." I clipped taking the cigarette back out of my mouth looking out at the neighbouring houses.

"Kyle, there's no shame if you like her. It's not wrong and she's not Christa." He sighed pinching the bridge of his nose. "You're not superman, you can't deny having feelings If you've met your Lois Lane." He frowned.

"I couldn't be with her even if I did have those feelings for her. It's safer denying it then confessing it. People like Evelyn Grey deserve so much more than me. She's too fucking sweet and perfect for me and my fucking world to ruin it. It's toxic as it is being only a friend towards her. We're supposed to be like oil and water, fucking Alice Cooper and Jay-Z." I spat trying to push away the feelings that was currently creating a war inside of me.

"Not everything has to be like that, Kyle. Stop thinking so Black & White. You both could end up being great for each other. Like Brad Pitt and Angelina-"

"They're getting a divorce." I interrupted cynically.

"Damn it, Kyle. Look, all I'm saying is don't tank it before you've even started it because what if you guys end up being so damn good together. I see how you look at her, you don't act like that with anyone, Kyle. Besides I think she might like you too." He smiled heading inside the house, I followed suit putting my unlit cigarette back into the house.

I mulled over almost convincing myself to take a chance with Evelyn, what's the worst that could happen? I told myself as we walked back to Arlo's room, Slater a few steps ahead of me.

"No, stop." He suddenly said putting his hands out in front of me.

"What's with you, just open the fucking door-" I said pushing past him to see Evelyn entangled in Arlo's arms, a smile on her face. I closed the door for a second ignoring the pain that was coursing through my chest.

"Some chance, huh?" I muttered to no one in particular keeping myself away from the door. Not knowing what I'd do.

I shouldn't feel like this.

----
BOOM. TWO UPLOADS (technically I'm a day behind, it's like 7am) haha sorry guys. Btw the song is 'You' by The 1975. Its SUPER relevant to the next few chapters.