eight

"Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness."
- Maya Angelou

| CHAPTER 8: KYLE

THE GLOOM OF TWILIGHT CREPT into my apartment as Evelyn and I continued to 'get to know each other' later on that night. Her once Raven hair was now a soft auburn colour, and cascaded down her slim shoulders as she continued to talk my ear off about a book that she had once read by Jay Asher, her granite eyes twinkled as they bored into mine. I felt my lips curve up into a smile for a millisecond before I realised she was waiting for a response from me. Oh shit, what did she say? "It sounds like a good book full of great context and references." I tried earning an eye roll from her. Damn it, so bullshitting works for English exams but apparently not for normal conversation.

"You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you?" She asked smirking at me, her hands placed on her lips. Do I lie or tell the truth?

"Yeah I do, we were talking about that Jay guys book with the liars and the four girls, right?" Earning a scoff from her. This is so bad.

"That'd be completely correct if Jay Asher was Sara Shepard." She threw her head back in laughter before collecting my plate and her own and placing them in the sink.

"I'm not going to lie, I don't know who that is, or who that Jay guy is." She nodded in acknowledgement, "I love reading, don't get me wrong but my passion is being out on stage and just singing for tens and thousands of-"

"Screaming girls throwing their underwear on your face?"

I crinkled my nose in disgust, "No. For screaming fans. For me music isn't necessarily getting the girl - although it is a bonus. It's all about liberating myself through my music and touching people with my music, you know. Making them connect with me and hopefully help all those who need it most but can't always express themselves," I turned looking at her. Her eyes flashed something just as quickly as it came before sending me a smile, seeming pleased with my words. "The screaming girls can come after though." I winked at her before leading her towards the bedroom en suite. "You can take a shower here, I'm gonna set up the Chill zone. There's towels in the cupboard and you can just grab one of my shirts to sleep in."

Walking passed her, I headed outside to the balcony and allowed Evelyn to shower up. Looking out at the city I reflected on today's events, the whirlwind of trouble between Evan and I and the awful tension between Matt and Slater. Evan and I were like scales, somehow we managed to balance each other out. Although I was more reckless and liked flirt with life and not take it too seriously and Evan was far more stable in his idea of life and to him everything needed its balance and its structure.

Winter grew closer and was beginning to peak it's ugly head from where Autumn once was, I leaned against the railing and stared into London's cold, rainy abyss. The sky was a clear matte purple-ish blue and a handful of stars glowed but felt so hidden because of the bright city lights. I hated winter, especially England's version of it. It was neither frighteningly cold nor warm. Grey clouds seemed to always fill the skies and rain or sleet would be a constant thing but if you were lucky - and I mean extremely lucky - it would snow, not more than a few inches but it's still snow.

"What are you thinking about?" I heard a familiar voice say to me, her voice seeming like a whisper compared to the humming of the cars and screaming of a few punters from the street down below.

I grinned at her, "Don't you think that it's a fairly British thing to do?" I asked and quickly added " Complain about the weather, I mean."

She smiled back at me and tucked her hair behind her ears. "Tell me about it, I have constant arguments with Mother Nature, it's like she's got a constant Tampon shoved up her ass." I laughed feeling my gut warm.