twenty-three

comment, vote, share
    ➳➳➳➳➳➳➳➳

CHAPTER 23| KYLE

BEADS OF SWEAT LINED MY BROW AS I THRUST my body into the air, my lungs aching, my throat throbbing as I felt myself become liberated with the crowd and the music, the feeling of anxiety just seemed to melt away trickling like a burning candle and I was the naked flame; exposed but my God was it intoxicating. My knees buckled over and I landed on my knees, the adrenaline kept the burning sensation from my body but I felt euphoric. Racking my hands through my hair that had fallen into my eyes I looked back into the crowd panting, their screaming and hollering seemed to be like a fuel and the few lights peering back at us was their phones, taking pictures and or filming us creating and becoming history. My body ached as I sang the last note, my lungs heavy, my skin still tingling and my hair annoyingly disheveled but I swear there was nothing better than what I had felt right then, what I was feeling. I couldn't explain it or put it into words it was better than 'good' or 'great'. It was like a clusterfuck of every synonym for those words combined together and I loved it. Even though we were only a supporting act of an Indie band, Colours Within The Wind, it was still indescribable.

"Thank you, O2! Enjoy the show tonight!" Matt bellowed loudly into the microphone just before we exited the stage, our clothes damp from the constant sweating from the lights. "Guys, I'm thinking we should get outfits." He burst out grinning abruptly as we came out towards our dressing room. "That way we look more in sync and not like some random middle class boys who grew up singing in someone's garage." He rolled his eyes in disgust making Evan and I laugh.

"Matt, we are middle class boys who grew up singing in someone's garage - more specifically your mum's garage." Evan stated matter-of-factly before rummaging through the mini fridge.

"Well you know what I mean, we look so uncoordinated."

"Well all I know is that it's you three that need to sort yourselves out since you're all fashion faux pas." I grinned kicking back in the lazy boy only for my comment to be cut off by Griffin scoffing. "What, sailor boy?"

"You can't call what you wear fashion; you legit only wear flannels, dark jeans and a fedora - you look more like a bad version of James Bay than an All Saints model." He snapped back stuffing his face with some Doritos.

I rolled my eyes at his response all though Evan cut him off with a response, "At least we all don't look like an 80s teacher who's mind is still stuck in his raving days. Who wears neon fishnet tops anymore, dude?"

"Guys you're missing my point," Matt sighed rubbing his temples sitting on the edge of my arm rest. "I didn't mean for you all to staring taking the piss out of each other's attire, I mean think about it like this; East 17, Fall Out Boy, Oasis, The 1975, One Direction, what do they all have in common? Their Ou-"

"Most of them split up?" I interrupted with a lopsided grin earning me a hit around my head. "Ouch, you bitch. Don't damage the merchandise." Causing all three of them to sigh.

"Anyway, their outfits and their stage presence. We need that." Matt finally summarised although he was cut off by a knock on the dressing room door. Matt's dark brows knotted together in confusion looking towards the door then back to us obviously startled. "Is anyone expecting anyone?"

The three of us shook our heads as Matt opened the door revealing a fairly tall door tanned leggy blonde, her hair was thin and scraped back into a tight bun. She grinned widely showing off her pearly white teeth. A travel mug in one hand and a pale blue bang in the other. She stood tall and proud pushing out her shoulders pushing out her breasts as if her already too-tight dress didn't help her enough. She pushed the 50's style glasses up the bridge of her nose before speaking. "Afternoon boys, sorry to bother you all I have an interview with Kyle Henderson of The Dirtbags?" She scanned looking around at all of our faces.

"Kyle Henderson of The Dirtbags?" I repeated in a mocking tone. Now it was my turn to be confused. "Sorry if I sound rude, but who are you?"

Her laugh was throaty and forced, she put her hand over her chest rather animatedly. "Oh where are my manners? I'm Penelope Hamburg of Now Magazine." Penelope pulled her purse out of her bag showing all of us her work I.D. which showed her rather large snaggletoothed  grin. "Now, Kyle Henderson of The Dirtbags?"

I slowly nodded putting my hand up. She closed her purse abruptly  before sitting on a stool opposite me, a notebook and dictaphone in hand. Sitting up I tugged on the creases in my flannel attempting to put on a chill persona. I had always seen the covers of Now as a trashy tabloid magazine in the corner shop...except there was now going to be an article on me. "Not that I'm not flattered Miss...Penelope but what about the rest of the band? Evan, Griffin and Matt are just as much part of The Dirtbags as I am." Her brown pencil thin eyebrows twitched as I challenged her, her moss green eyes turned into narrow slits. She cleared her throat grabbing her teal moleskin notebook, tightly pinching then bridge it her nose.

"Of course they are!" She exclaimed although her voice sounded tired and strained. "Boys, come sit." Penelope's voice was cold and chilling, and it sent a shiver down my spine. They quickly followed suit grabbing the few stray plastic chairs dotted around the room, Evan ended up squatting between my feet and Griffins bag. "Now, Kyle, what is it like being in an up and coming band like 'The Dirtbags?'" Penelope asked practically shoving the dictaphone under my chin.

I cleared my throats trying to calculate an appropriate answer in which she couldn't twist my words. "It's amazing in all honesty, everything is happening so fast. A few months ago we were just 20 year olds singing in local pubs. It's basically like a constant adrenaline rush."

"Right," She paused scribbling down a few words. "Now, how did you all meet?" We all let out strangled coughs.

"Funnily enough, we all met at the same time except Griffin and I were getting chucked out of this place and uh Evan and Kyle were going in- although Kyle
and Evan have been best friends for years." Matt spoke giving me a cautious look before mimicking Penelope's grin.

"Right and where was this place?"

"Strip club? Buts it's not what you think - We weren't sexually frustrated or anything - Kyle had just broken up with a psycho ex and Evan had heard about the place resembling a vintage American-style speakeasy so he thought it'd be a good place for him to wind down and me and Matt found out that we aren't allowed to dance on stage with strippers in feather boas to be fair I was only 17." Griffin rambled making all three of us simultaneously sigh.. And Matt says we aren't in sync. Here's the thing, when all of us have ever done job interviews as calm as we all appear to be all of our personas just melt. Evan is
a nervous wreck beforehand usually passing up and down the hall but will be a natural in the room. Matt is annoyingly nonchalant and borderline polite, I'm oddly calculated and Griffin? He's a complete bumbling buffoon but with girls he's the complete opposite.

Penelope's grin faded as she wrote down her notes ever so often giving a glance towards us. "How old are you all?"

"Matt is 21, Griffin is 20, Evan is 23 and I'm 24." I answered discovering that it'd probably best for everyone and anyone to answer instead of Griffin. Her lips turned upwards, simpering before the door opened again.

How many more fucking interruptions do we need? Fuck sake. I ran my hands through my hair  a couple more times as they walked in. "Are we interrupting something?" Slater asked, his eyes rounded in confusion as he pulled Evelyn behind him.

"No dear, I'll be done in about five minutes? Come take a seat," Penelope's shrill voice rang in a kind yet authoritative tone.  Slater, Evelyn and Arlo walked around Penelope, I clenched my jaw still wanting to punch that smug grin off his thin face.

"Break a leg," Evelyn whispered in my ear before taking a seat on the floor by Evan, Slater and Arlo following behind her. I bit back a smile deciding to pick at a loose thread on my jeans. Before getting elbowed in both ribs by Matt and Evan.

"Sorry, what did you say?" I asked  and almost wished I hadn't when she spoke.

"I said, That you mentioned an ex girlfriend but do you have a current girlfriend or someone you're interested in?"

Oh fuck.

----

HEY ALL! I HOPE YOUVE ALL HAD A GREAT WINTER BREAK/ARE HAVING ONE.

Enjoy! I should be back to regular chapter uploads now. :)