chapter ten

Cato walked with the two.

Clove looked around. They had a knife target. Good. She smiled.

Candice showed the two of them to an area near the middle and told them to wait there. Candice left.

Cato looked around, at all the other tributes.

Clove watched a lady come out of an office. She counted how many people there were and found a seat. Clove counted the number herself. There were fourteen people altogether. She waited calmly for the others to arrive.

When the district twelve tributes arrived Cato glowered at them.

The lady stood up and began to talk.

"Good morning tributes. My name is Atala and I will be presiding over your training for the next few weeks."

She continued talking but Clove wasn't listening. She was too busy picturing the district twelves dying.

Cato was giving death glares and snarky smirks, especially to the two from twelve.

Atala finished and Clove sprinted to the knife throwing station. She did it right up until they were told it was lunch time. She had missed throwing her knives.

Cato had intimidated most tributes while he swung a sword around; manglising the dummies.

Atala announced that it was time for lunch and took them to the eating room. Clove selected a table and sat down, motioning for Cato to join her.

* * *

Cato sat with her. "Hey." He smiled.

"Hi." She said with a grin. She looked around the room. "Where are the other careers?"

A blonde girl appeared on the other side of Cato.

"Hey." She smiled.

Cato smiled. "Aylo!"

Clove smiled at her. "You're the district one girl right?"

"That's right! Glimmer Carner. And your names are?" She reached her hand out to Clove.

"Clove Sevina" Clove shook her hand and smiled. Glimmer turned again to Cato.

Cato smiled at Glimmer. "Cato Hadley." He said and offered his hand.

Glimmer gave him a small hug.

"I think we're all going to be great friends!" She exclaimed cheerfully."Hey Marvel! Come over here!"

Clove stared at Glimmer in disbelief. She was supposed to be a career?

A tall lanky boy came over.

"Marvel! This is Cato," Glimmer motioned to Cato "and this is Clove." She motioned to Clove. Marvel raised his hand in greeting and took a seat.

Cato nodded. "Hey," he greeted.

Clove looked around the room for the district four tributes. A dark haired girl came and introduced herself.

"Marina" she took a seat.

"District four?" Clove asked.

"Yeah."

"The boy?"

Marina motioned to a short curly haired boy across the room who couldn't be older than twelve.

"Oh ok."

So that was it. That was the lot of them. This was the group of people Clove would die with.

Cato glanced at the boy. "He's not joining, is he?"

"No." Marina answered.

Clove couldn't help but feel a pang of sorrow for the boy. He would die. Clove looked at Cato. She would kill the boy herself if it was to save Cato. She would kill anyone to save him.

Cato nodded once and looked up.

Clove looked down and started eating some of the rolls that had been placed on the table.

Cato ate a roll, glancing at other tributes.

Soon Atala came in and told them to go back into the training room.

* * *

Clove stood up and walked in and towards the knives.

Cato glanced over at the district twelve tribute, the male, as he tried to climb. He chuckled.

Clove heard the sound of Cato's laughter. She would know that sound anywhere. She turned to see the cause of his laughter. She saw the twelve boy climbing. He was hopeless. She walked over to join Cato and watch the twelve boy.

The others soon joined.

The girl, Katniss people had called her, went over and murmured things to him.

Cato watched as Peeta was it? He thought it was. As Peeta got up and over to the weight lifting thing

He rolled his eyes.

Clove watched as Peeta threw the weight. She wouldn't be able to lift it, let alone throw it, that she knew. It knocked spears of a rack.

They may have to reconsider him.

Cato looked slightly stunned; he was fairly strong for tribute from twelve.

Clove went back to throwing her knives. She didn't like being upstaged by district twelve.

Cato wandered off to do his own thing. He threw spears.

Atala dismissed the group. Candice was there, ready to escort them back to their quarters. Clove felt like she did when she was five, being picked up from school.