chapter twenty-seven

Clove sat down. "We need a sentry." She said.
Cato sat down, rummaging through his backpack sitting down.
"I'll take first." Marvel announced.
"Second." Glimmer replied.
"Third." That was Peeta.
Clove volunteered as forth.
"Guess I'll take fifth." Cato murmured and removed a small packet of dried fruit, chucking it to Clove to see if she wanted any.
Clove looked at Marina.
"Sixth." Marina muttered.
Clove took out some fruit and ate it before throwing it back to Cato. "Thanks." She mouthed.
Cato smiled slightly at her and took a few pieces of fruit from the pack before putting it back in his bag securely.
Cato sighed and leant against the tree that Katniss was roosted in. He looked up, seeing her dark figure in the fork.
Clove went closer to the campfire and lay down. She was still so tired. Clove threw knifes at a lizard before falling asleep.
Cato laid down on the ground, calling Glimmer over.
The anthem begun and Clove woke up in shock. She quickly fell asleep again.
Cato looked up and sighed, he felt something land on his face. Dust. Like wood dust. After someone had been cutting something. Must be Katniss shifting, and the bits of moss and stuff coming down.
Clove's nightmares continued.
* * *
Cato laid on his stomach, sword by his side at all times.
Glimmer fell asleep on Cato's arm and Peeta and Marina were soon asleep too.
Cato had one arm draped over Glimmers side, sleeping quite peacefully.
It wasn't until the morning that Clove heard a noise. A buzzing noise. She rolled over.
Cato flinched slightly.
The buzzing got louder. I large object hit ground and suddenly there were little creatures attacking them. Wasps. Millions and millions of wasps.
Peeta was the first up, running for his life. Clove jumped up in a hurry, swatting the wasps off her face after receiving multiple stings that hurt like crazy.
"To the lake!" Clove heard someone say. She ran.
Glimmer hadn't gotten up in time. She had been stung to many times. Screaming and wailing, she gave up and collapsed to the ground.
Marina's leg wound was taking it's toll and Marina was slowing. She couldn't get away. The strange wasps made Marina's last breaths a struggle before she too, gave in.
The cannons blasted.
* * *
Cato had jumped in the lake, not resurfacing.
Clove jumped in after Cato, and Marvel and Peeta joined them. Clove saw black bubbles coming down from the surface of the lake and jumped out, only to be stung more times. The lake turned yellow and Clove fell, her head landing on these strange hard purple things and going unconscious.
Cato stayed under water a bit longer before rising, struggling to get to the bank.
Clove watched Cato and her unborn baby die at Katniss' hand so many times. It all seemed so real, yet so fake at the same time. She screamed her heart out as he was tortured to the brink of death and held there as Katniss stabbed her stomach. Clove opened her eyes to an orange sky before the hallucinations of her biggest fears continued.
Cato was out as well; he watched Clove and his family die. Slow and painfully. Their screams filled his ears, never stopping.
Clove didn't know how long the hallucinations continued. They hurt her more than anything else she had ever experienced. Finally, when she was sure that they'd stopped, she sat up. Peeta was awake.
"You! It's your fault!" She screamed at him.