chapter twenty-nine

Clyde got up and begun hopping on certain spots until he reached the safety of the cornucopia. "There are areas where you put your feet," Clyde explained to them. "You can see the patches where you have to jump."

Clove followed him, being extra careful. When she made it, she grabbed a packet of chips. She had been craving them ever since they had left. She hopped back.

"Who wants a snack?" She opened the packet and sat down, relaxing.

Cato shook his head. "I'm okay," he answered and sighed.

Marvel sat up. "Hey! Look!" He said, pointing at a long column of grey smoke coming from the forest.

Clove looked up. Now, that was more like a campfire. She thought that there must be one hell of a dumb tribute out there. She got up, stuffing her mouth with chips.

Cato was a bit tired, but he got up anyway and grabbed a weapon.

Clove made sure all her knives were in place. Marvel grabbed a spear.

Cato set off towards the smoke, yelling "Take care of the supplies!" to Clyde as he went.

* * *

Clyde was sitting down, he had a spear in his hands, waiting boredly.

Clove and Marvel followed Cato. They didn't see anyone else for about a mile.

There was a loud explosion.

Cato paused, listening, he was a bit dumbstruck for a moment. Then realised what caused that sound. He begun backpedaling, running back to the cornucopia.

"Find who lit the fire!" Clove yelled to Marvel as she took off after Cato. Clyde was going to pay for this.

Cato came raging onto the plain.

Bits of burnt debris littered down. His jaw dropped, the containers, burnt items were everywhere.

Clove screamed in anger.

"What the hell happened?!" Cato shouted furiously, approaching Clyde.

Clyde was backing away slowly.

"I-I don't know. Honest." Clyde stuttered, beginning to move faster.

Cato grabbed the boy in a chokehold, with a small twist to his head he was gone. Cato let the boy's limp body fall to the ground as the cannon went off.

* * *

"What the hell do we do now?" Clove asked, wishing she had killed Clyde when she was throwing her knives. "There's nothing left!"

Cato kicked a container.

He heard a cannon and looked up. "Wonder who that was."

A second cannon followed.

"Marvel might've found someone..." Clove trailed off. "We'll find out tonight, I guess."

Cato sighed. "It might be just the two of us.."

Clove looked at the ground. She began to get nervous. They were alone. She walked up to Cato and hugged him. Surely the Capitol would be fine with the district partners hugging.

Cato hugged her gently, a bit worried.

"Whoever blew it up must have thought of that," Cato frowned.

Clove looked around. It was going to get dark soon. "Maybe we could hunt animals?" She suggested.

"Yeah, we will." Cato murmured and looked around. "We need a new camp."