chapter twenty-four

Apparently that was Marina's way of waking people up. Clove looked around and saw Cato with Glimmer. She wished that was her there. Clove rolled up her sleeping bag.

Cato was still asleep quietly; in a deep sleep.

Clove watched Marina kick Cato and Glimmer awake as she rubbed her now sore leg and hoped that Marina would go. Shaking people awake was one thing, but kicking them? Clove got some extra knives.

Cato sat up; sword in hand, nearly cutting Marina.

Marina scowled at him and kicked Glimmer, before moving on to Peeta.

Cato rubbed his eye and stifled a yawn, setting down the weapon and slipping out of his sleeping bag.

Soon they were all awake.

"Where are we going to set up camp?" Glimmer asked.

Cato was eating an apple, too tired to speak.

Clove found some chips and opened a packet.

"Breakfast first Glim, so we can get some energy into our brains." Clove replied, stuffing a handful of chips into her mouth. She didn't know why the Capitol put foods like that in, but she was grateful.

Cato was leaning against the side of the cornucopia, watching the bush and eating.

The group ate breakfast. As soon as they were done, Glimmer asked again.

"Where are we going to set up camp?"

"Well, I like it here at the cornucopia, but the lake could be useful. Somewhere in between maybe?" Clove suggested.

Cato looked up. "We need to store the supplies somewhere; so no one else but us can access them." He said. "And we can't keep leaving just one person here; any of the larger tributes, say the guy from Eleven, could take us out easy!"

* * *

"But how will we do that?" Clove asked, wishing she knew what to do.

Cato looked at the district four. "You mind watching the stuff again?"

Marina glared at him and got out another apple. "Whatever." She replied. Clove took a mental note to sleep with her knives at easy access, she got the feeling that if anyone were to betray the group, it would be Marina.

Cato rolled his eyes and picked up his jacket, slinging it over his shoulders and picking up a sword.

Clove looked over. "What are we doing?" She asked.

"Going to find a proper camping place."

Cato told Clove.

The district three boy, Clyde, was moving around in the brush. He wasn't really that good at navigation.

Clove nodded her head and grabbed an empty backpack, shoving some apples and a packet of chips in it. She checked her knives as the others readied themselves.

Cato had heard movement, and his eyes gazed over the area.

Clove saw Cato look into the woods. She went and stood beside him.

"What is it?" She asked quietly.

"I dunno," Cato shrugged.

He spotted the boys pale skin in the light. He smirked slightly.

Clove followed his line of vision and saw a patch of dark hair behind the trees. She grinned.

"Your kill?" Cato asked her.

Clove's grin widened.

"Why, thank you, Cato."

* * *

She started walking towards him, remaining unseen.

Clyde was stumbling a bit, he had been cut on the leg by a tribute while fleeing the cornucopia. He winced.

Clove decided that killing him straight out would be to boring. He wouldn't even have the chance to fear her. Hiding behind a tree, she threw a knife in front of his face. She changed locations.

Clyde gasped and moved back; terrified.

Clove was behind him now. She threw a knife to his left, about an inch off his head. It hit the tree trunk next to him.

"Stop!" Clyde gasped, his hands rising.

Clove moved behind the tree she had just hit. "Now why should I do that?" She asked, throwing a knife just above his head.

Clyde moved down a bit. "I-I can help?"

Clove jumped behind another tree, throwing a knife right next to his side as she did. "How?"

"Ummm... I know... I know tech! You want those supplies, right?"

The word 'supplies' caught Clove's attention. "You could make a protection for our supplies?"

"Y-Yes." Clyde said quietly.

Clove held a knife in her hand and stepped out into the open, facing Clyde. She remembered seeing him in training. He could help. "Come with me." She instructed, walking back towards the cornucopia.