chapter twenty

Cato's hands through her soft hair.

Clove tucked her head under Cato's chin like she'd always done. It always made her feel so safe.

Cato stroked her arm gently, sighing deeply.

Clove's heart beat quickened. She had so little time left to enjoy life.

Cato stayed silent.

Candice knocked on the door.

"Well, you two weren't in Clove's room, so I'm guessing you're sleeping together in here now?"

Clove then knew how Caesar knew about Cato and her. Candice. Candice had spread the rumours.

Clove glared at the door.

"Nahhhh. She slept outside." Cato snapped.

Candice walked in. "I bet she did. Time to get up. The Games start at 10. Too bad only one comes out. Your stylists will be here in a minute."

* * *

Cato frowned and felt like punching her.

Clove could see in Cato's eyes what he wanted to do. She got up as Candice turned to leave the room and followed behind her, slamming the door before Candice could walk out. Candice turned around in shock. "I demand that you let me out at once!" She said.

Clove smirked. "I really don't think you have that authority right now. I think it's time we show you what careers are made of. Don't you?" Clove stepped forward and grabbed Candice in a headlock before slamming her to the ground. She stayed behind Candice's head and put her knees on her arms to stop her from moving. Clove looked at Cato and her smirk widened. "Be my guest."

Cato twisted his lips a bit. He kicked Candice in the head but that was about it.

Clove kneed the back of Candice's head, making her unconscious and put her in the closet. Clove walked outside and sat on the couch, waiting for the stylists. She couldn't believe that their own escort had reported them.

Cato waited with her, holding her hand gently.

"Why would she do that? Why did she tell? Isn't she supposed to help us?" Clove asked.

"Because she's a cow." Cato told her.

Clove silently shook her head and leaned on Cato.

Cato waited for the next instruction.

Kaiden and Sedika soon walked in. They walked over to Cato and Clove.

"Time to go." Kaiden said.

* * *

Cato stood up and sighed.

Clove reluctantly got up and followed Kaiden out.

Cato went with Sedika.

Kaiden took Clove to a dressing area and gave Clove her clothes. Clove dressed silently.

Cato got changed into his arena clothes quietly.

Kaiden escorted Clove to the hovercraft. Clove shut her eyes. This was it.

Cato was silent; not making eye contact with anyone.

Clove walked in and sat down looking at the ground while trying to still look tough.

Cato boarded the hovercraft, sitting down and leaning his elbows on his knees

He didn't look nervous or scared.

Clove looked up and watched out the window. She looked at the clouds passing by and scowled at them; they made her feel sick.

Cato winced slightly as the lady injected a tracker into his forearm.

Clove heard Cato's wince and felt his pain, as well as getting scared herself. The nurse came and asked for Clove's arm. Clove scowled and gave it to her, gritting her teeth as the tracker was inserted under her skin.

Cato rubbed his arm and went back to resting his elbows on his knees. Just waiting.

Clove sat looking at the floor until the hovercraft got considerably darker. Clove looked at the windows. They had gone black. They were nearly at the arena.