chapter seventeen

Cato went through with her.

Candice directed them to the elevator. "Sleep well tributes. Tomorrow The Games start!" She walked away in the other direction.

Cato felt sick.

Clove looked at Cato and got into the elevator. As she got in she wrapped her arms around him, trying to make him feel better.

Cato put his hand on her arm gently.

"I love you, Cato." Clove said. She couldn't believe that this was the last night they would ever have in private together.

"I love you too Clover." Cato murmured.

The elevator stopped on their floor and Clove walked in.

Cato walked by her side at all times.

Clove turned to face Cato, staring into his eyes. "I'm gonna go take a quick shower, ok? I'll be back as soon as possible." She hugged Cato and kissed him on the lips.

"Okay then," Cato answered and gave her a soft kiss on the lips, he sauntered to his room.

Clove went into her room and then into her bathroom. She had her shower as quickly as possible, she wanted to spend her last night with Cato.

Cato had a shower, he slipped into a pair of jeans and laid down on his bed with his hands behind his head. No shirt on.

Clove got dressed into a short nighty and brushed her hair. She then walked out into the main room before knocking on Cato's door.

* * *

Cato didn't look towards the door. "Yeah?"

"Can I come in?" Clove asked quietly.

"Sure," Cato answered and now looked towards her.

Clove opened the door and walked inside, then sat on Cato's bed.

"Hey." He said softly and sat up.

Clove moved closer to Cato and hugged him tight. She bit her lip and tried to stop herself from tearing up. It didn't work. This was her last night ever with Cato.

Cato held her to him close.

Clove buried her face in the skin of Cato's chest.

Cato stroked her hair gently.

Clove sobbed. "I love you so much. Why does only one come out? I need you babe! Why can't we just be together!? Why did I have to take the stupid damned tesserae? Why?"

"Shhhh." Cato murmured quietly, trying to calm her down. He slipped the blanket over her shoulder gently. "It's okay beautiful."

Clove laid down and snuggled into the blanket.

"Good night Clove," Cato murmured and wrapped his arm around her.

"Goodnight babe." Clove whispered softly. She was tired, but she knew she wouldn't be able to sleep.

Cato rested his head near her neck. He closed his eyes and tried to sleep.

* * *

Clove put her arm around Cato and held him close. Clove wanted Cato to sleep. He needed to be well rested if he was going to survive. She began to sing softly.

"Hush little baby don't say a word;

Papa's gonna buy you a mockingbird,

And if that mockingbird don't sing;

Papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring,

And if that diamond ring turns brass;

Papa's gonna buy you a looking glass,

And if that looking glass gets broke;

Papa's gonna buy you a billy goat,

And if that billy goat won't pull;

Papa's gonna buy you a cart and bull,

And if that cart and bull falls down;

You'll still be the sweetest little baby in town."

Cato smiled slightly, he found himself drifting off to the sound of her gorgeous voice.

Clove watched Cato fall asleep. Once he did, she too began to drift off. But it didn't last. In her dreams she watched the twelves kill Cato and beat her to kill their unborn child. Clove woke, shaking, glad it wasn't real for a few seconds before realising that it could soon be.