chapter twenty-eight

Cato was leaning against a tree vomiting.

Peeta looked up at Clove with tear filled eyes. "How the hell is it my fault?" He asked.

"You're the one who suggested we wait under the tree! You knew she'd think of a plan! Damn you!" Clove got up and went to Cato, patting his back. She didn't care who knew at this point.

Marvel was still shaking, still in the hallucinations.

Cato wiped his mouth after he were finished, his face was pale and his hands shook. "Stupid bastard." He said through gritted teeth and raised his sword. He slashed it down Peeta's thigh.

Peeta screamed and rolled away. Blood was trailing all down his leg.

Clove hugged Cato and buried her face in his chest. "You're alive." She whispered joyfully.

Peeta started crawling away.

Cato didn't bother to finish him off, he'd die soon.

"Yeah," Cato breathed slightly, thinking she meant after the tracker jacker attack. "you too."

"I saw you die so many times." Clove sobbed. She blinked away tears, hoping the cameras were focused elsewhere.

* * *

"I saw you die too, Clover," Cato whispered, his arms wrapped around her tightly.

Clove looked at the ground, feeling sorry for him. He had just suffered like her.

Marvel groaned and sat up.

"Where are Glimmer and Marina?" Cato asked groggily.

Clove went to help Marvel up.

"I heard two cannons as we were running. I think they're dead." Clove answered.

Marvel seemed to be ok. "Oh, I'm so sorry, mate." He said to Cato.

Cato didn't know what and how to feel. Maybe he should walk off? Cry? He moved his arms from around Clove and walked back to the tracker jacker tree. It was easy to find seeing as a lot of bushes were crashed down from their rush to the lake.

Clove decided to follow him and comfort him, for the audience. She held his shoulder and gave him a small smile. "It's ok. There are plenty of fish in the sea." She told him.

* * *

Cato chuckled lightly, looking down at her then back up in front of him. They came to the tree. Katniss was no where to be seen, the nest was nothing but an empty looking egg shell.

"We should get back." Clove said. She needed to check if Clyde was done. And if he was still there.

"See how that little rat's been doing." Cato murmured and picked up a spear that was left on the ground.

Clove walked back to Marvel. "We're gonna head back now, you gonna be ok to walk?" She asked him.

Marvel nodded quietly.

Cato started back towards the cornucopia.

Clove and Marvel followed. Marvel didn't ask about Peeta. He still seemed shaken. Clove kept a knife at the ready, in case Katniss or any other tribute were to find them.

Cato was quiet as they walked.

When they reached the cornucopia he spotted Clyde sitting under the mouth of it.

Clove looked around. There was a giant pyramid of supplies and some dug up land around it.

"I'll take it you're done then?" Clove asked Clyde, catching him by surprise.

Clyde flinched, looking up at her.

"Yes." He answered.

Cato stared at the supplies.

"Good." Clove replied. "Now, how do I get to the food? I'm starving."