chapter thirty-eight

Cato had his hand on top of Clove's. He was sleeping peacefully; then the nightmares came rolling in.

Clove comforted Cato as much as she could without waking him. When she guessed it to be about five am, she woke him. "Time to get ready." She said softly, shaking him.

Cato flinched and sat bolt upright, his breathing was a bit heavier. His hands trembled.

Clove jumped, before settling down again. "What's wrong?" She asked.

"N-nothing." Cato murmured and got up.

"Ready to get in place?" Clove asked.

Cato nodded and picked up his sword, looking at it in his hand, a bit nervous.

Clove adjusted her jacket. "Katniss will probably be coming from the trees. There maybe?" She asked, pointing towards a place in the trees. "Should I hide around the side of the cornucopia?" She questioned.

Cato looked towards the trees, "Yeah, I'll stay by the lake, waiting for Thresh."

Clove nodded. "Ok."

She walked off, hiding in her spot.

Cato gave her a hug and kiss on the cheek before moving out, staying hidden in the underbrush, leaning against a tree quietly.

* * *

About one hour passed before the sun came up. Clove watched the redhead run past the other side of the cornucopia. She knew that Katniss would be next. She got out a knife.

Katniss was startled to see Foxface dart from the cornucopia, she frowned and waited a moment before running to get the small orange bag marked with the number 12 on it. She slipped the cord around her wrist, Katniss begun to turn.

Cato saw Katniss and held his position, he wondered if Peeta had come. He begun to circle around, far from the cornucopia just in case he were seen or heard by the others.

Katniss ran around the corner and Clove threw her first knife. It hit her in the head. Clove swore under her breath. Katniss was moving too quickly. Katniss was shooting arrows at her. Clove dodged them easily. She attacked Katniss and pinned her down.

"Where's your boyfriend, District 12? Still hanging on?" She asked.

"He's out there now. Hunting Cato," Katniss snarled. She screamed at the top of her lungs. "Peeta!"

Clove jammed her fist into Katniss' windpipe, cutting off her voice. Clove whipped her head from side to side, making sure Peeta wasn't coming. He clearly wasn't. Clove turned back to Katniss.

"Liar," she said with a grin. "He's nearly dead. Cato knows where he cut him. You've probably got him strapped up in some tree while you try to keep his heart going. What's in the pretty little backpack? That medicine for Lover Boy? Too bad he'll never get it."

* * *

Cato heard Katniss screaming Peeta's name and was smirking, he didn't see Peeta anywhere. Or Thresh for that matter.

Clove was still kind of tired from last night, but she got out another knife, smirking. "I promised Cato if he let me have you, I'd give the audience a good show." Clove told Katniss as she struggled to get out of her grip.

Thresh was getting his backpack. He saw one with '2' written on it. He thought it'd just be a shame to leave it lying there.

"Forget it, District Twelve. We're going to kill you. Just like we did your pathetic little ally... what was her name? The one who hopped around in the trees? Rue? Well, first Rue, then you, and then I think we'll just let nature take care of Lover Boy. How does that sound?" Clove smirked. "Now, where to start?" Clove wiped the blood away from Katniss' face and surveyed it.

Katniss was struggling, trying to get Clove off of her.

"I think..." Clove took another look at Katniss' face. "I think we'll start with your mouth." Clove traced the outline of Katniss' lips. "Yes, I don't think you'll have much use for your lips any more. Want to blow Lover Boy one last kiss?"