chapter thirty

Clove nodded her head. "Where?" She asked.

"I dunno." Cato shot her a look.

"Woods maybe?" Clove suggested uncertainly.

"Nah, Katniss is in there. And I bet she's got some plan up her sleeve." Cato murmured. "How about the lake?"

"That might work." Clove replied. "Sleeping under the stars?" Clove had no idea how to build a shelter.

Cato nodded and smiled slightly. "I guess so, come on then. See what we can find." He looked around, found nothing really useful. So he went down to the lake quietly.

Clove sat down. It was already starting to get cold. "I can see why they lit fires at night." Clove said, hugging her knees.

Cato chuckled slightly.

There was a static sound, then the loud voice of Claudius Templesmith.

* * *

"Greetings tributes, the regulations requiring that one tribute may been crowned victor has been.. Revoked. Two victors may be crowned as long as they originate from the same district." That was it. No more words.

Cato looked at Clove, a big smile appearing on his mouth.

Clove stared into Cato's eyes in disbelief. This was the solution to all their problems. They could both win. Clove squealed and giggled, wrapping her arms around Cato. "We can both go home!" She exclaimed gleefully.

Cato hugged her tightly, burying his face into the crook of her neck. Relieved.

Clove blinked off tears and hugged Cato tighter. "I'm not dreaming, am I?" She asked quietly, leaning her head softly on Cato's.

"No," Cato murmured and held her closer. "We can go home."

Blinking could no longer stop Clove's tears. They could live. Both Cato and the baby could live.

* * *

Cato kissed her cheek gently, he didn't care about the cameras. It was okay now.

Clove let out a small giggle. "We should get some sleep." She said, smiling.

Cato nodded and sat down, pulling her with him gently.

"Someone has to keep watch." Clove said, snuggling into Cato's arms.

"I can," he murmured, leaning against a tree and putting his arm around Clove.

"Thank you." Clove replied. "Wake me up half way, ok?"

"Okay." Cato answered and sighed.

Clove fell asleep easily. Her nightmares were much fewer, now that her and Cato could live. She dreamed that they got back to their district, living a life of luxury while raising their child. It was all so perfect.

Cato was trying to keep his eyes open, he was so tired, but refused to wake Clove seeing as she looked more peaceful sleeping than most nights.

Clove woke up, well rested. It was still dark, but it looked like the sun was going to rise soon. She turned to Cato. "I thought you said you were going to wake me?"

Cato looked at Clove groggily. "You looked peaceful."

"You look tired." Clove replied. "Go to sleep, I'll keep watch."