chapter thirty-nine

Katniss built up a mouthful of spit and blood; spitting it right in Cloves face.

Clove glared at Katniss. "All right then. Let's get started." She pushed the knife into Katniss' lips, thinking back to her dream.

Thresh saw Clove about to cut Katniss up, he looked around and didn't see Cato anywhere. He appeared behind the two, grabbing Clove by the shoulders and bringing her up off the ground. He had a rock in his hand, the size of a small loaf of bread.

"What'd you do to that little girl? You kill her?" He asked furiously.

Clove scrambled back, terrified. "No! No, it wasn't me!" She screamed back.

"You said her name. I heard you. You kill her?" Thresh's face contorted with rage. "You cut her up like you were going to cut up this girl here?"

"No! No I..." Clove saw the stone and trailed off. "Cato!" She screamed. "Cato!"

Cato lifted his head, he heard Clove and begun running back.

"Clove!" He called back in answer. Branches from trees whipped at his face, he stumbled and tripped, getting back up quickly and running full bolt.

Thresh slammed the rock into Clove's skull and she lost consciousness.

* * *

"What'd she mean? About Rue being your ally?" Thresh asked Katniss.

"I... I... we teamed up. Blew up the supplies. I tried to save her, I did. But he got there first. District One," Katniss replied.

"And you killed him?" Thresh demanded.

"Yes. I killed him. And buried her in flowers, and sang her to sleep."

"To sleep?"

"To death. I sang until she died. Your district... They sent me bread." Katniss paused. "Do it fast, ok, Thresh?"

"Just this one time, I let you go. For the little girl. You and me, we're even then. No more owed. You understand?"

Katniss nodded and they ran their separate ways.

Cato just came out of the bush as he saw Thresh disappear with two backpacks. He saw the number 2 on the larger pack; anger welled up inside of him. Then he spotted her, he had a spear in his hand that he had picked up, nothing seemed to matter anymore. He didn't care if Katniss were still out there, he ran to Clove and skid to a stop. Kneeling down and dropping the spear, he grabbed for her hand. "Clove!" He said quickly, tears welling up inside of him.

* * *

Clove opened her eyes. She saw a man with blonde hair looking down at her. He certainly was handsome. She had a feeling she should know him. She didn't. All she knew was pain. And a strange feeling. Love. It was a feeling of love towards that man.

Cato held Clove's hand gently, sobbing quietly. "Stay with me, Clove, please," He sobbed, tears ran down his cheeks.

Clove looked up blankly at Cato and, using all her remaining strength, lifted her hand to touch his heart.

"Always." She whispered, before letting herself slip off into the welcoming darkness that awaited her.

Her heartbeat stopped, and with it, the baby's.

But only one cannon sounded.

Cato felt the soft grip on his hand subside, and his heart shattered, "No.. Clove, please," he sobbed quietly, Cato wiped his tears away and slowly closed Clove's eyelids. He planted a soft kiss on her cheek. "I'm sorry.."