chapter thirty-three

Mmm, where?" Cato mumbled.

Clove closed her eyes, only to snap them open a few seconds later. "Oh, I don't know."

"Go to sleep, I'll keep watch for a bit." Cato told her. "We'll need all the energy we can get."

Clove was already there. Her head fell onto Cato's shoulder.

Cato chuckled and wrapped his arm around her gently.

Clove slept peacefully.

Cato stroked Clove's cheek gently, thinking again.

Clove felt a faint movement in her stomach and woke up for a few seconds, before dozing back off.

Cato looked out over the lake.

Clove dreamt about Cato. He was happy. His happy face made her feel like there was nothing bad in the world. And at that moment, there wasn't.

Cato held Clove close to him as he thought. About Clove, their life back home. There were still a chance.

Clove woke up a bit later. She brought her head back up and motioned to her shoulder. "Your turn." She whispered.

* * *

Cato flinched slightly, he looked down at her. "All right," he smiled slightly and bunkered down. His arm still wrapped around Clove as he slept.

Clove put her arm around Cato's waist. She rested her head on the side of his and smiled. They could both go home.

Cato had a good sleep, dreaming peacefully. Of his family. Home. The academy. Clove and himself. His unborn child.

Clove watched butterflies and things like them flying around. They were beautiful.

Cato woke up about two hours later; it were starting to get a bit dark.

Clove smiled. "Let's go back to the lake and watch the sunset." She said, getting up.

Cato paused a moment before getting up too, he picked up their supplies.

Clove looked into Cato's eyes. They were so happy compared to what she'd seen in the hallucinations. And she had the possibility of a life with him. "Ready?" She asked cheerfully.

Cato nodded with a small smile. "Let's go."

* * *

Clove started to walk back to the lake. She could see the reflection of the sun in it. It was truly a perfect day.

Cato was glancing at Clove, a mischievous grin forming on his face.

Clove looked back at Cato and raised her eyebrows. "What are you thinking about?" She asked cautiously.

"Nothing." Cato said, looking away and dropping his gear off by tree a few metres from the waters edge.

Clove smirked and sat down.

Cato went over to the lakes edge and bent down a moment, running his hand through the mud and washing it off in the water. "Hey Clove," he called.

"Yeah?" Clove replied.

"Quick." Cato said urgently and looked down at the ground.

Clove jumped up and ran over. "What is it?" She looked into the water.

Cato pointed to the ground, there was nothing, he stood up quickly and pushed Clove into the lake.

Clove squealed, then burst out laughing. She grabbed Cato's arm and pulled him in.