part three - chapter forty

Thresh ran back off into the grasses. He could feel by the weight of the pack that it had the body armour he needed. There had been too many snakes. He turned around to see Cato kneeling over Clove. He was happy she was dead.
Cato picked up the knife that Clove had used to throw at Katniss and get her down, he was going to use this knife to kill the other three. Anger trickled through the sadness, he looked at Clove one last time. Her face, so utterly innocent, just wanting to get home. He felt guilty, hatred towards himself for not being there when Thresh turned up. "It'll be okay, Clove," he murmured quietly. "I'll kill him. Kill them all." Cato was talking to himself, he didn't care. Then he set off after Thresh.
Thresh kept running. He was sure that Cato would want his pack. He hoped that the snakes would get to him.
Cato kept on following the tracks, it begun storming, raining profusely. Cato had to shelter under a shelf of rock.
Thresh had to stop running. He was drenched. He got a tent out of his old backpack and set it up. He was in the open, but he was sure that Cato wouldn't find him in the rain. He didn't bother putting on his armour, the snakes wouldn't come out in this weather. He checked through the District Two backpack. He was going to have one hell of a mighty feast.
* * *
Cato was freezing, but he grit his teeth and tried to keep it together.
He wanted to distract himself some how, but he couldn't think of anything but Clove. Night came fast, and in the sky, he saw the picture of Clove. His heart ached, the snarky smirk on her face and her eyes. He tried to take all that in, then the image disappeared. Gone forever.
Thresh ate until he could eat no more, and got out his old sleeping bag. He would find and kill Cato tomorrow. He couldn't be bothered then.
Cato tried to sleep, but it were full of nightmares. Clove dying numerous times while he were forced to watch, guilt still racked him.
Thresh slept peacefully.
The next morning, Cato set out early, the sun was just coming up. It was still storming and wet, but he continued. Clove's knife was in his hand, the spear in another. He had a sword in his belt, the only thing on his mind was; kill Thresh.
* * *
Thresh slept in. He didn't think Cato would come after him at that time of morning. And snakes would get him. He rolled over lazily. He still had his axe near him, anyway.
Cato had seen several snakes, and slowly walked around them.
Thresh kept sleeping.
Cato kept on walking, it took him quite a bit to find Thresh's camp.
He was quiet, but he wondered why, the thunder and rain would block out any sound.
Thresh was startled by a thunderclap and jolted awake. He sensed a presence near him. He told himself it was no-one. No-one would be desperate enough to come in this weather. Surely.
Cato clutched the spear tightly, and the knife, he waited for a bit. Just in case.
Thresh settled back into his sleeping bag, holding his axe.
He fell back asleep.