The Deserving Winner

"Jared?"

"What do you want?" He asked shortly, not lifting his head. I took a seat across from him.

"I'm here to apologize. I was just frustrated and upset. I was frustrated at how hard it was and because I was lost and I was upset because I knew I was disqualified. I went outside in the basement to get an item and all the doors locked and no one let me in. I went around and tried to get back in the basement but I couldn't find it. I asked for your help but I thought you didn't care enough to come find me. I'm sorry I said I hated you. I don't at all. You're one of my favorite actors and you inspire me constantly as a person. So I'm sorry. What I don't get is why you're more upset than Jensen or Misha."

"I'm upset because I've never truly been hated before. Especially because you and I have talked about my campaigns and how we've impacted people and what you have dealt with in your life and I felt like if you hate me, then none of it mattered." He explained.

"It does matter. You matter. I love that you've let me talk to you since we got here. I don't want to lose contact with you but I wouldn't blame you if you told me to never talk to you again. I don't hate you and I'm sorry. Forgive me, please."

"I forgive you, Sarah. You didn't mean it and I understand that. Stick around please. Everyone gets something from this." I nodded. I went back to my cabin.

"What happened to you? None of us knew where you went." One of the other girls asked.

"I just needed to talk to the guys. Don't worry about it." They nodded in understanding and we all waited around as they all gloated about how many items they had collected. Misha called us back to the basement and we all stood around waiting to hear the results.

"Hey everyone! So that was pretty difficult right?" Half the room nodded at the understatement and the other half seemed to think it was easy. "We have an announcement to make. Are you guys ready to hear the name of the winner?" Everyone cheered.

"Ok. First. We have something to say." Jensen spoke up. "We need to inform you that in this instance, we have to change how we determine the winner. The winner we chose is not necessarily the person who had the most items."

"We used our own discretion to pick the winner. We felt this person deserved it more than the one with the most items. I know many of you will think that's unfair. In some ways, you're right, but once we explain, we hope you'll understand our choice." Jared added.

"This person had a tough time in the first challenge like many of you, only barely scraping by. She barely completed the finals too. Upon sight, she doesn't seem like she should win. It's what many of you didn't see that makes us choose her. Let me call her up here first. Sarah, come up here." He motioned at me. I walked up to the guys. Not knowing why I was picked.

"She hurt herself in the bowling pin part. I paused the clock for her because she was in so much pain, but she got up and insisted that she was going to finish." Jared stated.

"She wanted to give up her hope of winning today but decided to compete as hard as she could." Jensen added.

"Sarah was only able to get one item but gave it to someone with more hoping to help them win. In fact, she only got one because none of you let her in when she got locked out. She cared more about helping someone else than getting the most items." Jensen said.

"And last but not least, she yelled at us. She told me she hated me and hated them because I designed this and they didn't help her when she was locked out. I don't like that she yelled at us, but she walked all the way to where we were staying to apologize to me and Jensen, then walked all the way back here to apologize to Jared. This is someone who cares about us and wanted to make things right. I don't know about you, but that sounds like dedication and a thoughtful personality." Misha told everyone. I had a few tears falling down my face. I didn't want this recognition and I didn't think I deserved to win. "I'm sure some of you are saying that you helped someone and you tried and never gave up. I think the thing that made her different is that she wasn't doing it to get noticed, she wasn't doing it to make herself look good, she did everything with good intentions. She cried apologizing to each of us, she didn't let getting hurt stop her even though she hurt her elbow, she thought she was DQ'd and still tried to get back to the basement to finish. She helped out a girl who quite possibly would have never won and did it simply to make her feel better about herself. That is a selfless person. We believe she should be the winner. Does anyone object to our decision?" One girl raised her hand. "Why do you disagree?"

"Because I tried my hardest even though I knew I didn't have the most items, I helped someone who was hurt, and I would have apologized if I yelled too." She stated.

"Misha, if she did that, she should win. I don't deserve this." I told him.

"Say that again. Louder."

"I said if she really did all that, then she should win. In fact anyone else should have. I don't deserve this." I repeated, wondering why he had me say it again.

"This proves our point. She hasn't done anything with the intent of helping her win. We want the winner to be a person of good character who deserved to win." He added. The girl sat down sadly. "And everyone else gets prizes of autographed copies of the current season as well as continued contact with us. Congrats, Sarah." I hugged him tightly. I hugged Jensen then Jared too. By the time I got to Jared, I was in tears. I was so excited to be with them on set for so long and get a part in the show. They let us all go to say goodbye to the friends we made before everyone headed home. I went and found the girl who raised her hand.

"Hey. I'm sorry you didn't win."

"Don't apologize. I'm sorry I said you didn't deserve to win. You're a super nice person. Have fun with them on set."

"Thanks." We shared a hug before I moved on. I said goodbye to my motorcycle friend before rejoining the guys.

"Hey. Ready to head out to Vancouver?" They asked.

"Sure." I replied. We piled in their van with all my stuff and went to set.