Questioning Dad

I kept thinking about the choice of going or staying. I didn't want it to seem like I don't like being with Gen and the boys, but I also wanted to see Jared more. I thought about it until the wee hours of the morning. I really felt like it was a good idea to stay with Jared again. I eventually fell asleep and got up late morning. Jared told us the night before that he was going to leave in the afternoon on Saturday instead of Sunday like he planned because he had a lot to film and needed more time. That meant we only had that day and the next morning with him.

"Hey mom, can I talk to you?"

"Yeah of course." We went into my room so we could talk. "What's wrong?"

"I'm thinking about going back to stay with dad again this time. I never see him when I'm here because he never has the time to video chat or call. At least there, I see him long enough to say goodnight and I still get to talk to you and the boys all the time. I don't want to make you think I don't like being here though." I told her.

"I totally understand that choice and if you want to go stay with Jared, go for it." She said sincerely.

"You mean you aren't mad?" I asked.

"Why would I be?"

"Because I won't be with you or the boys as often anymore. I'm worried about how they'll take it too." I added.

"They'll be ok. Shep will be fine. Tom might be really upset, but once you video chat, he'll be ok. I think you should go stay with Jared. You need to see us both. I know you've missed him a lot."

"Thanks for understanding. I'm glad you're not mad."

"Of course. Let's go join everyone else. I only get the rest of today to see you and a little bit in the morning." I nodded in agreement and went back out with Gen. We hung out all day just enjoying time with each other. Before we went to bed, Jared spoke up.

"So are you staying or going?"

"I'm going with you."

"Ok. Be packed and ready to go by noon." I nodded. I went and packed most of my stuff and left out what I would need in the morning before getting in bed. As I was going to sleep, I saw Shep's little moose stuffed animal. I got up and put it in my suitcase. I slept until mid morning and sooner than I even thought, it was time to go. "Come on, Sarah. It's time to go." Jared urged hurriedly.

"Ok. Ok. I'm coming." He seemed really antsy. I said goodbye to Gen and hugged the teary eyed boys. I promised to video chat as much as I could and left with Jared. We sat in the airport terminal with our bags in front of us completely silent. I wanted to ask what was wrong, but decided to wait until we were on the flight. "Dad, can I ask a question?"

"You just did." He chuckled. "Go ahead."

"Why do you seem so antsy? You hurried me along last night and this morning. Is something wrong?"

"I just wanted to get going before you changed your mind."

"Changed my mind? What are you talking about?"

"I mean I didn't want you suddenly deciding to stay. I love that you spend time with Gen and the boys but I miss you more than I let on. I hardly ever have time to call or video chat and I feel like I'm neglecting my relationship with you. I call Gen and talk to her more than I talk to you."