Big Sister

"Hey bud. Can I see your head?" I asked. He sat up a little bit in my arms as we rode down the elevator. He had a significant bump but thankfully wasn't bleeding. "What did you hit your head on?"

"Table." He replied. He was still in tears and I held him close before taking him over to the first aid people.

"Hi, Shep hit his head on a table a little bit ago and we think he needs to be checked out. He's got quite the bump."

"Ok. Set him down on the stretcher." I did as they said and he clung to me tightly. I sat with him and held him on my lap. He fought them the whole time. He was after all, only two. He was scared.

"Shep, let them check on your head. It's ok. Shh. Shh." I held him close protectively and he relaxed a little. They felt his bump and checked some other things.

"Ma'am, may I talk to you?" I nodded. Shep, why don't you talk with Clif while I talk to the nurse?" He nodded and Clif hung out with him.

"What's wrong? Is he ok?"

"He should be. Listen, he has a serious bump. The swelling should go down with ice but we can't tell for sure that he didn't crack any of his skull. If the swelling doesn't go down in a couple days or if he starts feeling really bad, you need to take him to the hospital. Just ice his head and try to get him to rest as much as possible." She told me.

"Thanks." She nodded. I got Clif and Shep and headed back.

"Is he going to be ok?" Clif asked.

"He should be. Thanks for coming with me."

"No problem. Have a good night." He told me when the elevator dinged on our floor. Gen had already gotten my text so she was waiting outside the door with Tom.

"Mom, he's ok. They said he has a serious bump though. They told me to have us ice it and if the swelling doesn't go down or he starts feeling bad, to take him to the hospital because that might mean he cracked his skull." I explained.

"Ok. Thanks for taking him." Just then, Tom burst into tears and held onto my leg. "Tom, what's wrong?" She asked him.

"I'll handle him. Just get Shep to bed. It's ok." I sat down with Tom on the floor by the door. "Tom, why are you upset?" I asked.

"Shep and I were playing and I pushed him and he hit his head. What if I hurt him bad?" He asked shyly.

"Does mommy know you shoved him?" He shook his head. "I need to tell mommy."

"No. Don't."

"Tom, I need to. I'll make sure you aren't in trouble. You were just playing. Shep's gonna be ok." I assured him. He gave me an unsure look. "I promise you won't be in trouble. Just don't push your brother anymore ok?" He nodded. We went back inside. Shep was laying in bed on the sleeper couch not wanting to sleep.

"He ok?" Gen whispered.

"Yeah. Listen, he shoved Shep when they were playing and that's how he hit his head. He's scared he hurt Shep really bad and he doesn't want to get in trouble. Don't make me a liar please. Just tell him not to shove his brother anymore but don't make him be in trouble. How's Shep doing?"

"He's doing ok. He doesn't want to sleep, but he's ok. His head still hurts but the Tylenol is helping." I nodded.

"We should tell dad."

"I'll tell him once the boys are asleep. If they ever will."

"Know of any tricks? I'll help."

"Music sometimes. Other times a story. Sometimes nothing. We don't have any of those with us though. They're usually pretty good about sleeping." She told me.

"What kind of music? Any particular song?"

"They love hearing Jensen do Angeles. He's asleep already though. I already texted him."

"I'll be quiet and I don't want you watching but I have an idea. I'm gonna try music."

"Why can't I watch? What are you doing?"

"You'll see. Just give me a sec with them." Tom was in bed with Shep and they both looked at me expectantly. "Guys, will you please close your eyes? You don't have to sleep yet. Just close your eyes." They both did and I started.

Someone's always coming around here trailing some new kill. Says I see your picture on a hundred dollar bill. What's a game of chance to you to him is one of real skill. So glad to meet you, Angeles. Picking up the ticket shows there's money to be made. Go on and lose the gamble that's the history of the trade. Did you add up all the cards left to play to zero and sign up with evil, Angeles? Don't start me trying now. I can make you satisfied in everything you do. All your secret wishes could right now be coming true. Spend forever with my poison arms around you. No one's gonna fool around with us. No one's gonna fool around with us. So glad to meet you, Angeles.

The boys were out by the 2nd verse. I finished and turned around to see Gen and Jared standing there in awe. "Sorry, dad. Wasn't trying to wake you."

"Don't apologize. You're amazing." I blushed. "They were out instantly. Why'd you keep going?" I shrugged.

"I like the song. Jensen does that way better but I like to sing." I replied. They nodded in understanding. "Mom, did you tell him yet?"

"No. Not yet. I should have paid more attention but I was making sure he was ok since he slept so quickly. Will you tell him?" She asked. "You're better at explaining this."

"Tell me what?" Dad asked. "What's going on?"

"Shep got hurt a little bit ago. He was playing with Tom while you were asleep and Tom shoved him a little too hard and he hit his head. He has a significant bump. She waited for me to come back from talking to Jensen so she could get Shep checked out and I ended up taking him. He's ok. We need to ice his head for a couple days and if it gets worse or the swelling doesn't go down, then we need to take him to a hospital. The Tylenol kicked in so he's not hurting too bad for now. She didn't wake you up because she thought you'd be mad about her not paying more attention and then Shep wouldn't get seen right away. Once I got back with Shep, we were going to wake you up and tell you. I put them to sleep and then we were going to tell you right now." I explained in a whisper.

"He's hurt? Where? I didn't even notice. I led him to the other side of the pull out couch so he could see Shep's face. I gently moved Shep's hair and he saw it. A look of concern washed over his face.

"Tom feels really bad about it and wasn't trying to push him so hard. He was just being a kid. Don't make him be in trouble. I told him he wouldn't be. He bawled his eyes out to me and didn't even want me to tell you two what really happened." He nodded.

"I won't get mad at him. Gen, explain to me again why you didn't watch closer? I kinda stopped at Shep being hurt."

"I was checking on you. You fell asleep really fast and your face looked a little flushed so I wanted to be sure you were ok and not feverish feeling." She explained. "You're probably just tired from the convention and it is kind of warm in here. You didn't feel feverish so I thought you were ok. I was just making sure and then Shep started crying and I took him outside so you could sleep."

"Thanks for being so concerned. And Sarah, thanks for taking care of Shep. We should all get some sleep. I know we're all exhausted."

"I agree. I'm gonna sleep in the chair over here. I guarantee he's gonna wake up in pain. I'll be right there to calm him down and give him more Tylenol before he wakes you up."

"Sarah, you don't have to. I'll get up. It's no big deal." He insisted.

"I want to. It's ok." He nodded and I went and slept in the chair.