Chapter 8 - Don't You Remember

Sorry for the late update!! Gif and song to the side!

*The song Kai sings is Adele's Don't You Remember hence the chapter name!

Chapter 8 - Don't You Remember

Kai

Three Weeks Later

"Yes mom, of course I'll visit. We've been so busy lately rehearsing with the lads but I promise to visit real soon." I smile to myself thinking of the woman on the other side of the phone. Her brown hair in a short bob and her brown eyes sparkling with joy. The thing about mom is her eyes are always full of light. The only time I've ever seen her eyes dull and lifeless was when dad died and the months that followed. Sometimes I can still see traces of sadness in them but its a rare occasion. "Maybe Louis could come along. I haven't seen that boy since he was just barely a teenager." Mom still doesn't know Louis does not remember me and that I've chosen to not remind him. She believes Louis and I are best friends again. If only that were true. Sometimes I catch myself about to say something about our friendship, a memory only we share but then I realize he doesn't know we shared it.

I put the phone on speaker to tie my hair into a pony tail. Today is our day off from rehearsing and all we've done is hang around the house. We invited Avril and Leah over for a girls night. Avril is already here but I left her and the girls in the living room looking for some privacy. "Yeah mom. I'll see if Louis can go visit too. He hasn't changed a bit, still the same old boy you knew." I say tightly because I'm lying. He's not the same boy but a stranger that just looks and sounds like him. Okay, maybe I'm being a tad judgmental. He still has the same personality. A sound at the door makes me turn around and drop the phone. Avril stands in the doorway her blonde brows scrunched together in confusion. Shit! She must have heard me. I quickly pick up the phone and tell mom that I have to go and hang up.

"Kai what do you mean he's still the same boy you knew? You knew Louis when he was little?" She asks and my heart hammers with fear because I've been caught. I never expected someone to find out so I don't know what to say. So of course the only thing that comes out of my mouth is rubbish.

I try hard to avoid her icy blue gaze but I find myself feeling guilty for lying. "Ah, no thats not. Um I didn't say that, you ah ah." Avril looks back at me like she doesn't believe me and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't believe myself either.

"Right I'm not deaf I know what I heard. Whats going on Kai?" She says crossing her arms across her chest with a pointed look.

"Nothing I just." I sigh and shake my head in resignation. "I'm originally from Doncaster not London. Louis and I knew each other when we were little."

Her pretty face contorts in confusion. "Then why did you say you were from London? And why doesn't Louis act like he knows you? Actually you don't act like you know each other at all." She raises her hands in exasperation.

I sigh and feel tears spring to my eyes. I try to blink them away to no avail. "Because he doesn't remember me and I don't want him to." My voice lowers at the end because I'm just over the whole situation.

"Why not?" My face must have said it all because she raises her eyebrows then smiles sadly in understanding. "He forgot and you're hurt. You must have been close then."

I scoff and shake my head. "He was my best friend." Actually he was more than that, he was my everything, he was family.

Avril's eyes look back at me with empathy. "You have to tell me everything."

I sigh and brush a strand of hair out of my face. "I will just not now. And please Av don't tell him or anybody. Please." I plead to her because even if deep down I want him to know my heart is hurt and I just can't face him right now.