Chapter 14 - Familiar Strangers No More

Chapter 13 - Familiar Strangers No More

Louis

Three Hours Earlier

We finish singing together as her delicate hands play the last notes of the melody on the piano. Grace looks down at her hands and immediately brushes away the tear she tried to hide. My chest is tight because of what I saw in those eyes. Those icy blue eyes looked at me like they used to. She misses me and this song was specifically for me. She wants me to say I remember. To tell her I never forgot. Grace wants our friendship back. I glance at the standing crowd and smile my thanks for their applause. Grace stands up and does the same. I take her hand in mine and she stills her back going rigid. I walk back to our table like that and she appears to be lost in thought. Once sitting down I let go and she quickly retreats her hand to her lap. Grace looks up at me now and I see a newfound determination in her eyes. Seeing that I know she's gearing up to tell me. But not if I tell her first. And just when I'm about to do so our food arrives and we begin to eat. I guess this conversation will just have to wait.

Present Time

I thought she was going to tell me but I guess I must've read it all wrong. She's shut down again and I don't know why. She talks and smiles back but I can see the change in her eyes. They're almost scared if and I don't know why. Why is she so afraid of telling me? I'm back in my flat running over the day in my head trying to figure out what happened. I was so sure. I sigh and rub my eyes. I look at the time and groan. Its only four o'clock and I'm bored out of my mind. I don't have anything to do but watch the telly and to be honest there is nothing good on. I wish my phone would beep and it would be Grace. I want her to talk to me. I glance at the jean jacket she left in my car. Maybe I should take it to her and then I'd have an excuse to talk to her. Yeah, that's good.

I get up from the couch turning off the telly and grab my wallet. I open the door with the keys in my hands and I'm shocked to see Grace standing there. Her hair is in a long braid and she has her glasses on. I feel a smile take over my face at the familiar sight. "Hey." She says with the smallest of smiles.

"Uh, hey." I say back. Brilliant. I sound like an idiot. What is girl doing to me?

Grace tucks a small wayward hair behind her ear. "Were you going somewhere!?" She asks eyeing my car keys and I nod.

"I was but not anymore. Come in." I say and she begins to shake her head. She looks at me and I see nervousness in her blue eyes.

"I'm quite sure you were heading out so please don't let me stop you I was just..." I cut her off with the raise of my hand. She stops talking and I gesture for her to come in. Grace eyes me for a few more seconds before going inside.

I put my keys and wallet on the table next to the door. I see her jacket lying on the couch where it was a few minutes ago. Wow Louis, what were you going to give her when you got there? I can't believe I forgot her jacket. "Do you want anything to drink?" I ask Grace and she's still by the door looking uncertain. I grab her forearm and lead her to the living area. Her eyes dart to her jacket and she shakes her head.

"Uh, no, thank you. I just came here for the jacket. Um, Kiran wanted to wear it tomorrow so I promised to come and get it." She explains and I'm a little disappointed. I wanted her to say she wanted to spend some time with me. Or that she had something important to tell me. I grab the jean jacket and hand it to her.

She reaches for it and I deliberately brush our hands together. Grace still at the contact and her eyes find mine. She smiles and flushes. I chuckle at her reaction and she looks down shyly. I let go of the jacket and place the same stray hair as before behind her ear. I hear her breath hitch and see those wonderful eyes turn distant and worried. Grace looks away quickly and steps back. "Thank you."