Chapter 4

It hurt to think about Haiden now. No longer did I feel empty at the thought of him, but instead I felt pain. I couldn't believe the Haiden I saw yesterday was my Haiden. I couldn't believe any of his words.

Bringing my knees to my chest, I hugged my legs, hoping to make myself as small as possible. I was in the living room and from there, I could hear Chelsea and Peter laughing in the kitchen. They were making dinner and they would soon call me, but I wasn't in the mood to eat. All I wanted to do was figure out Haiden and what he'd become.

    Werewolf. Criminal. Both things were unbelievable. Werewolf because werewolves didn't exist, and criminal because Haiden couldn't be one. But at the same time, seeing how he was yesterday, I knew it was possible.

    "Luna," Blake said, snapping me out of my thoughts. "What are you doing here?"

    I shook my head, unable to voice my thoughts. I did want to talk about Haiden and what I discovered, but a part of me still wanted to keep him a secret. The stubborn part of me was often annoying.

    "Are you okay?" Blake asked.

    He strode towards me and crouched down in front of me. His blue eyes were full of worry and I looked away. Haiden was trouble and Blake had every right to be worry, but I couldn't stay away. Somehow I would figure Haiden out.

    "I'm fine," I said, looking back and smiling. "But, can I ask you something?" 

    "Sure," Blake said, eyes softening.

    "Do you think it's possible for someone who used to be so good and nice and... incredible to turn bad?" My heart dropped, hoping his answer would be no. "It seems impossible that someone so pure can suddenly be impure in just a couple of years."

    Blake stared at me, his eyes questioning. I looked away again and hoped he wouldn't figure me out.

    "Well everyone has a good and bad side to them, so whoever you're talking about wasn't always so perfect," Blake said. "I mean it does seem impossible that some kind people can turn unkind, but it's not impossible. Sometimes your darker side just gets tired of hiding and seeps through, causing you to change for the worse. Why are you asking?"

    "No reason," I answered immediately. "But thanks. That makes sense."

    Looking down, I wondered if Haiden's darker side has seeped out and caused him to change. I really hoped not, but like Blake said it wasn't an impossible idea. My heart sunk as I wished that my Haiden had stayed the kind boy he was.

"Luna, let me say this," Blake said, bringing my attention back to him. "Some people like you are genuinely good people. You guys want the best for this world and I can never see you changing. I've known you for five years and you have always been a wholehearted girl. So some people are destined to be good."

His words made me smile. My heart lightened up because I wanted to be a good person. I wanted to make others happy and I was glad someone had noticed.

"Thank you," I said. "I hope you're right and I hope... This person is destined to be good."

Blake had been grinning, but his grin faltered for a moment. He suddenly seemed uneasy as he stood up, leaving me frowning. I wondered if I said something wrong.