Chapter 25

I stayed holed in my cell, not wanting to leave it. After what Haiden said, I didn't want to see him. I didn't want to see any of his gang members either, which was why I forced myself to stay in my cell alone. Patiently I awaited the day where my guardians would rescue me and sadly give in to The Demons bargain.

    Laying on my bed, I heard footsteps rush down the staircase and I looked to the bars of my cell. Haiden appeared, looking worried, and I chose to ignore him. He didn't truly care about me. He only cared about Lydia, so I wasn't going to let his facial expression get to me.

    "Luna, why didn't you come up for breakfast?" Haiden asked.

    "I'm a hostage," I said flatly. "I should be stuck in a cell."

    Haiden stared at me, his eyes sad, and I told myself it was all an act. He didn't want me at his side. I couldn't understand him, he had said. So why did he keep trying? Why did he look like he actually cared about me?

    "Luna... I was mean yesterday," Haiden said. "I'm sorry. I get really protective about the people I care about."

    "Yeah, you used to be protective about me," I mumbled bitterly.

    Haiden started to open the door to my cell, which made me sit up quickly. With wide eyes, I stared at him, wishing he'd leave me alone. I didn't want to be near him. Not when it hurt so much.

    "Stop!" I exclaimed. "Just... Just leave me alone, Haiden. I don't want to be a part of your life anymore. I'm tired and I just want to go home."

    He looked stricken by my words, which made me feel guilty. I looked away then, telling myself he didn't deserve my guilt. He didn't deserve anything from me after everything he said.

    "Okay," Haiden said after a bit. "I'm sorry. Just know that-"

    Suddenly, there was a scream that sounded like Lydia's. Haiden's eyes flew wide and he whirled around. Fear filled me at that, wondering what was going on.

    "Stay here," Haiden said, running off. "Stay safe."

    He ran upstairs and out of sight and worried, I got up. Something bad was happening and there was no way I could stay hidden when Haiden could get hurt. So forgetting about everything he did to me, I chased after Haiden.

    He was out of sight, but I knew the danger was outside so I ran to the front door and threw it open. The sunlight hit me immediately and I squinted my eyes, trying to see what was going on in the field in front of me as I heard shouts and screams. My jaw dropped when I saw The Demons fighting what I realized were the demon hunters.

    The first thing I did was look for my guardians in the midst of the battle, but they were nowhere in sight. Sighing with relief because they were safe, I then searched for Haiden who I spotted fighting two men. My eyes went wide as Haiden punched one of the guys head, causing him to fall to the ground and stay there. Not wanting to see Haiden kill, my eyes went to Taylor who was close by.

    Although he wasn't that tall and was incredibly thin, Taylor was fighting off multiple men. His fangs were out and I shivered, remembering he was a vampire. Watching him sink his fangs into the neck of a man who nearly hit him, I looked away, unable to bare the sight again.

    Violence was something I always hated. I couldn't stand to see anyone in physical pain, which was why I began to shield my eyes. Everything was happening so fast and so much blood was being spilt, and it made me sick. But then remembering Haiden was in the middle of the fight, I began to look at him again, hoping he'd be safe.

    Haiden was swift. He was strong and I stared at him, amazed as he knocked man after man to the ground. They had weapons and he only had his bare fists, but somehow he was winning every fight he got into. I was awestruck.

    The demon hunters ranks seemed to diminish as The Demons overpowered them. To my surprise, I realized The Demons seemed to be mostly knocking them out, which led to me relaxing. I expected them to be coldhearted killers, but they weren't killing now. But Taylor was, but I forced myself to ignore that as I watched the five of them finish off the last ten demon hunters.

    My eyes went back to Haiden then, wanting to watch him finish off his battles, but then my heart dropped at what I saw. My eyes flew wide and without thinking, I ran towards Haiden because I saw a man aiming his gun at Haiden from afar. Pushing myself as fast as possible, I went to Haiden and pushed him away as the gun went off. I tried to duck out of the way as well, but the bullet grazed my side. I screamed in pain.

    Haiden's eyes grew wide with horror and suddenly, he was sprinting towards the gunner. He grabbed him and threw him to the ground, kicking his gun away. Haiden then punched him in the face repeatedly, until he was knocked out and bleeding heavily. Lying on the ground, curling up in pain, I then watched as Haiden ran back to me.

    Guilt and fear was written across his face as he bent towards me and picked me up bridal style. I snuggled into his chest, thinking it might be the end for me. Even though I was just grazed by the bullet, my side killed. My shirt was beginning to get soaked with blood and I knew there was no hospital nearby. So closing my eyes, I sighed lightly because I knew at least I'd be dying at Haiden's side.

    "Guys!" Haiden shouted. "We have to run! Now!"

    "What happened!" Saniya yelled, sounding worried. "Oh my god! Luna!"

    I knocked out then. I didn't remember anything that happened after those last words.