Chapter 31

I was in an indescribably happy mood thanks to yesterday. Even though Haiden and I never brought up the kiss after it happened, I felt like there was some mutual understanding about it that left me feeling fulfilled. The kiss was nice and it meant something. For the both of us, I knew it did.

    Smiling to myself, I felt giddy. It had taken me five years to kiss the boy I loved and it was worth it. Loving Haiden was worth it and my current goal was to make Haiden as happy as possible. I wanted to make sure he stopped blaming himself for everything and I hoped by staying at his side and teaching him how to heal, he'd learn.

    Looking outside my room window, I sighed lightly as I knew I was a master of learning how to heal. For most of my life I was in a situation that made life seem like hell. My dad was abusive and he never cared about me. I always felt like I was alone and I was miserable - so miserable that I often wished on shooting stars to die. But once my dad was out of the picture, I then taught myself how to move on. I told myself that the world was a beautiful place if you wanted it to be and soon, it became that. Smiling, I knew one day Haiden would feel the same way.

    "Luna, can we talk?" Blake asked.

    I whirled around and saw Blake standing at my door. His expression was one of guilt and I stared at him, wondering what he wanted. We hadn't talked since I came back. We barely even looked at each other. Admittedly I was avoiding him, but he had been happy about that until now.

    "Sure," I said softly. "What about?"

    "I'm sorry about everything. Especially for the fight we had before... You got captured," he said. "I hate myself for making you join the demon hunters. If I hadn't, you would never have been a hostage."

    Staring at him, I saw that he truly did hate himself for what he did. It seemed to eat his energy up because I had never seen Blake look so tired. I had never seen him have such heavy bags beneath his eyes. Because of that and my happiness from the day before, I decided to let everything he did go.

    "It's okay," I said honestly. "We all make mistakes. Let's have a fresh start, okay?"

    Blake grinned. "Okay."

    He walked over to me and hugged me then. I hugged him back, feeling complete for the first time in a while. Haiden and I had something blooming and Blake was back to being my best friend. But then, I thought about the demon hunters and what they did. Tensing, I pulled away from Blake.

    "What's wrong?" Blake asked as I began to look away from him.

    "Nothing," I lied, forcing a smile. "I'm just... Wondering when this will end. Everything has been so hectic and all I want is peace."

    "It'll end soon. I have a feeling it will."

    Hearing Blake so serious was a surprise, so I wondered if he was right. The Demons finally had what they were looking for, so I wondered if they would finish their revenge plan. It made me nauseous, knowing they were killing, but I couldn't help but feel like the demon hunters were getting a taste of their own medicine. Due to that, I felt like my morals were conflicting.

    "Blake! Luna!" Chelsea shouted from downstairs. "Come downstairs!"

    The both of us frowned as we wondered what was going on. We wouldn't be eating dinner anytime soon, so I had a bad feeling about what Chelsea wanted. The both of us ran downstairs.

    Chelsea and Peter were in the kitchen, wearing serious expressions, and I knew something was wrong. My heart began to race as I wondered if something had happened to Haiden. Internally, I prayed he was alright.