Chapter 13

Peter and Chelsea had made Blake and I go to bed after Haiden, Lydia, and Dashawn left. They told me they'd tell me everything the next day and because I was exhausted, I agreed. The next day came quickly and I was in the kitchen with The Daniels, awaiting to find out the truth.

We all sat at the dining table in silence, waiting for one of us to speak. I was waiting for Chelsea and Peter, and for some reason they seemed to be waiting for me. I wasn't sure why, but I decided to speak first in the end. I needed answers and it seemed like I would finally get some, so I wanted to act fast.

"What was all that about?" I asked. "Yesterday. I... I can't believe what went down."

Admittedly, I was trying to act like I didn't know anything about The Demons. Seeing that there seemed to be tension between my family and them, I wouldn't dare let them know I cared about their leader. That would ruin everything I had.

"That was The Demons," Chelsea said. "The criminal group we're trying to defeat."

"You're trying to defeat?" I asked, incredulous.

"Yes," Peter said. "Because we're demon hunters."

My eyes went wide and my whole body froze. I felt a wave of horror flow through me as I realized my guardians were Haiden's enemy. They were trying to kill his gang and that made me think of their talk a couple of weeks ago. Chelsea and Peter were set on killing them and I couldn't believe it. But then, I realized I was shocked about the wrong thing.

My guardians were demons hunters. For a living, they killed demons. I thought my family had been extremely ordinary, but I was completely wrong. I was wrong about everything in the world it seemed and staring at them, I realized they knew mythical creatures existed. They had known before I had and kept it a secret from me. It hurt.

"We were going to tell you," Chelsea said, seeming to read my thoughts. "We were planning on telling you soon, but..."

"With The Demons on the loose, we didn't want you in the way of trouble," Peter finished for Chelsea. "It's a dangerous world and you're a delicate girl."

I didn't know what to say. All I wanted was to learn more, so I decided to voice my questions.

"What I saw yesterday wasn't normal. That man... He was on fire," I said, hoping I sounded clueless. "You're saying they're demons and you guys hunt them?"

"Well, technically they aren't demons. Not all of them, at least. Dashawn is a fire demon," Peter answered. "The rest of them are different mythical creatures. Haiden, the leader, is a werewolf and the blonde girl from yesterday is one, too. Taylor, the one with glasses you might've seen on tv is a vampire and the Indian girl is a phoenix."

I was both amazed and stunned at once. Finding out werewolves existed was shocking enough, but it was unimaginable to think there were many different mythical creatures living in our world. I wondered how no one knew about them, but then I realized they weren't like typical mythical creatures. These mythical creatures were humans who could turn into these creatures. I wondered how that worked.

    "In our world, there are these humans who are gifted with the ability to transform into mythical creatures," Peter said, as if reading my mind again. "There aren't many of them and depending on what mythical creature they are, they usually fall into a different area in the world. For example, America is known to be the home of werewolves and vampires."