Chapter 28

Haiden and I were sitting in the living room, watching tv. The only sound in the room came from the show we were watching and I was perfectly fine with that. I was happy with the situation I was in.

    Yesterday, Haiden had gotten good sleep. We had fallen asleep at the same time and we also woke up at the same time. Haiden had been surprised by that and he told me he never slept that much in so long. I felt good about that, feeling it was because of me that he slept well.

    Glancing at him, I smiled when I noticed how into the show he was. His eyes were glued to the the tv and he didn't realize I was staring at him. That was a good thing, since I was able to admire how gorgeous he was.

    After a minute, Haiden seemed to notice someone was staring at him because he looked at me. He seemed surprised that I was, but then his eyes softened. He then stared back at me, seeming to analyze me as well, and a part of me felt self-conscious. The other part of me was loving his eyes on me.

    "Haiden!" Taylor screamed, killing the moment.

    Both of our eyes flew to the entrance of the living room. Taylor was there, gasping for breath, and he was staring at Haiden. He was grinning madly and I frowned, wondering why he looked so happy. Usually Taylor looked as if he hated the world.

    "What?" Haiden asked flatly.

    "The demon hunters finally agreed to our deal!" Taylor exclaimed. "Luna will return home and we will get our map!"

    My heart dropped. I found myself freezing because surprisingly, I didn't want to go home. Unbelievably, I wanted to remain a hostage. Just so I could remain at Haiden's side longer, I wanted more than anything to be dreaming at the moment.

    "Really?" Haiden asked.

    I looked at Haiden and saw how uneasy he looked. He was blinking, seeming in a daze, and I knew he was just as shocked. Neither of us expected our time together to be so short.

    "Yes," Taylor answered. "I'll take her back home now."

    Haiden stared at Taylor for a second. He was expressionless and I found my insides twisting as I accepted reality. I was going to go home. I was going to leave Haiden's side. Just when we were getting close again, we would become strangers once more. I hated the idea.

    "I'll come," Haiden said. "Together we'll take Luna back."

    "No," Taylor blurted out, marching towards me. "There's no need for you to come. Stay here and make plans with our gang."

    Haiden opened his mouth to argue, but stopped when Taylor grabbed my arm. He yanked me up from the couch, causing me to yelp. Haiden didn't seem happy with that.

    "Hey, she's hurt," Haiden said. "Be gentle."

    "Whatever," Taylor said. "Okay, I'm leaving now."

    Taylor began to drag me away and I looked back at Haiden, feeling helpless. I couldn't believe I was leaving like this. Everything was happening so fast and I felt my heart ache. I wanted to say goodbye, but it was hard to when Taylor was was dragging me away.

    Knowing I couldn't hug Haiden or anything, I simply whispered, "Goodbye."

    "Goodbye," Haiden whispered back, looking visibly upset as I got dragged out the door.

    My heart felt somewhat satisfied, seeing Haiden wasn't happy with the change of events. He didn't want me gone and I felt angry at the world for making this happen. Every time Haiden and I tried to get close, the world seemed to tear us apart.

    "You better be serious," I snapped at Taylor who was dragging me through the forest. "I swear if-"

    "Don't threaten me you," Taylor hissed. "That would be very, very dumb of you."

    "You don't need to drag me." I yanked my arm away from him. "I'm capable of walking on my own."

    Holding my hand to my chest, I couldn't help but glare at Taylor. I was so angry at the moment and I was taking it out on him. Usually I would've felt bad because the victim never deserved it, but seeing how furious Taylor looked I didn't care.

    "I don't care if Haiden cares about you," Taylor growled, catching me off guard. "I will kill you if you dare talk back to me again."

    My eyes widened at the hate in his eyes. And remembering how he once killed the demon hunters, I knew he wasn't kidding when he said he would kill me. Because of that, I shut my mouth and decided to follow Taylor obediently to my town. Once there I would never have to see him again, so I let that idea restrain how I felt.

    "Good," Taylor mumbled. "Let's keep going."

    Taylor began to walk again and I followed him. The walk was silent and in my mind, I was thinking of all the reason why I never liked Taylor. He was an absolute jerk, Haiden and him seemed to always have some sort of tension between them, and there was something about Taylor that gave me a bad feeling. He made me uneasy and a part of me felt like it was because Taylor wasn't like the others. He seemed to be heartless.

    Thinking I was just being dramatic, I pushed that idea away. I was just mad at the world and because Taylor had dragged me away from my Haiden, I was taking my anger out on him. Maybe he was a jerk, but I didn't know much about him. He didn't deserve to be called heartless because of that.

    After an hour of walking, I saw my town coming into view. I picked up my pace then, walking in front of Taylor, and soon I spotted my guardians waiting at the exit of the forest. When they saw me, tears filled their eyes.

    Chelsea covered her mouth with her hands, seeming shocked, and that made me lose it. I ran to them, realizing I missed them, and threw my arms around Chelsea and Peter. They hugged me back tightly and Chelsea began to cry into the crook of my neck. I felt guilty then, knowing I had been so focused on Haiden that I forgot about them while I was captured.

    "I'm so sorry Luna," Peter said, stroking my hair. "I never wanted you to become a hostage. It must've been terrible."

    It wasn't, but I didn't tell them that. Even now, I knew it wasn't smart to tell them I loved Haiden. It would only make things worse between the groups, so I kept my mouth shut. Closing my eyes, I just told myself that even though I lost Haiden, I was back with my family. That was good enough - for now.

    "Sorry to break this reunion," Taylor said. "But give me the map. I don't have time to waste."

    Peter stopped hugging me and he moved away. Staring at him, I watched his jaw clenched. He seemed to hate Taylor and admittedly, he had every reason to. Taylor was staring at Peter like he was inferior and it annoyed me.

    "Here," Peter said, pulling out a rolled up piece of paper from his pocket. "Take it and leave us alone."

    Peter threw it at Taylor and Taylor caught it with ease. He smirked and shoved it into his pocket.

    "I doubt I'll be leaving you alone," Taylor said, amused. "But now that I have what I want, you won't be seeing me for a while. So goodbye, for now."

    Taylor turned around and ran off. My eyes widened at his supersonic speed, but I shook my head and told myself to forget his words. Even though they brought a chill to me, I didn't want to think about any upcoming fights with The Demons.

    Hugging Peter and Chelsea again, I said, "I'm glad to be back."

    They hugged me back again. Chelsea continued to cry, which made my heart hurt. Peter also looked guilty, which made me feel guilty in return. I hated seeing my guardians like this, but I closed my eyes and told myself that I would make it up to them. Somehow, I would make everyone happy by the end of everything.