Chapter 26

Slowly, I peeled my eyes open and groaned. My side hurt. It felt like it was burning and sitting up, I gasped as I felt like my side was tearing open. So I laid back down on the ground and stared up at the ceiling, wincing in pain.

    "Careful Luna," Haiden said next to me, bringing my attention to him. "Move too much and you'll tear your stitches open."

    Stitches? My eyes flew wide as I realized something had happened. Then all of the sudden, I realized I wasn't in a house as I noticed the rocky walls surrounding me. My eyes flew around wherever we were in and I realized we were in a cave. That explained why where we were was dimly lit. The only light source was a fire a few meters away.

    Staring at the ceiling, I thought back to what happened. I couldn't recall much, so I closed my eyes and that was when a flashback of me running towards Haiden came to my mind. I then remembered how I took a bullet for him and my eyes flew open as I remembered thinking I was going to die. It was a miracle I didn't.

    "Who did the stitches?" I asked. "Am I going to be okay?"

    "Saniya and yes, you're going to be okay." Haiden looked away, seeming uneasy. "You shouldn't have taken a bullet for me. How many times do I have to tell you I'm not worth it."

    "And how many times do I have to tell you that I'll always be at your side. I'll always be looking out for you."

    Haiden looked back at me then, his eyes soft. I stared back, amazed by the guilt in them. He seemed to feel bad about what happened to me, which led to me feeling bad myself. I hadn't meant to cause him worry.

     Wanting to change the subject, I asked, "Where are the others?"

    "Saniya went to find food and Taylor and Dashawn went to go find our other hideout," Haiden answered.

    "And Lydia?"

   "She's... Mad at me." He sighed lightly. "She didn't like how worried I was about you."

    My heart skipped a beat as Haiden began to blush. I loved it when he blushed. It was adorable and it made me remember the gentle, affectionate boy he once was.

    Suddenly feeling guilty about being the reason Haiden and his girlfriend were fighting, I then decided to apologize. I shouldn't be getting excited over things like that, knowing Haiden was taken.

    "I'm sorry you guys are in a fight," I said. "That's probably the last thing you need right now."

    "You're too nice," Haiden said. "Luna, you have such a good heart. I can't believe you're saying sorry after how shitty I treated you just a few days ago."

    I looked away as I remembered how Haiden told me I could never understand him. I felt my heart ache as I remembered how Haiden had basically told me that Lydia meant more to him than me. But, I no longer felt angry. After nearly losing Haiden, I just wanted to spend every last second I could with him before he would permanently be out of my life.

    "Look, I'm sorry," Haiden said, surprising me. "I was a total asshole that day. I... I just never wanted you to find out about my past and I was overwhelmed. I said some horrible things and I hope you know I didn't mean them."

    "Why didn't you want me to find out?" I asked softly. "Didn't you think I deserve to know?"

    "We were never supposed to meet again."

    My eyes widened at his words and I stared at him for a second. He stared back, his eyes filled with guilt, and I wondered if he was feeling guilty for a bunch of things. I didn't know what, but I wanted answers.