Chapter 19

Laying in bed, I stared up at the ceiling with nothing to do. Lunchtime was nearing, I realized when I looked at the clock that hung across from my cell room and my stomach grumbled. The Demons seemed to have forgotten to give me breakfast, which left me with an empty stomach. Being a hostage sucked so far.

     I sighed and turned to lay on my side. I now faced the bars of my cell and I looked at the darkness that I knew eventually led to the staircase. It was so far, yet so close, and I found myself wondering how I would reach them. Only a day had passed and I was already losing my mind, so I felt tempted to try to smash the metal bars open.

    Suddenly, I heard the pounding of feet on stairs, surprising me. I sat up quickly and frowned, wondering who was coming. I then hoped whoever was coming came with food because I was starving.

    My eyes soon went wide when Haiden appeared out of the darkness of the dim lit prison. He looked much better than he did yesterday. No longer was there worry written across his face and his body looked relaxed as he strode over to my cell. I wondered what had changed to make him like this.

    "You're coming with me," Haiden said, causing my eyes to widen.

    "What?" I blurted out, shocked.

    Haiden pulled out keys from his jeans and he went over the my cell door. He unlocked it, shooting me a small smile, and I stared at him, shocked. I would never have expected this.

    "Come, let's go eat lunch," he said. "Sorry you had to miss breakfast. I was arguing with my gang."

    "Are you serious?" I asked. "You're letting me leave my cell?"

    His eyes softened, giving him a look of sincerity. This was too good to be true, but that look made me believe him. Somehow, Haiden had helped and I was beyond thankful.

    "Yeah, I made a deal with my gang," Haiden said. "You're allowed to go anywhere you want in our hideout and even outside around our area, but it's only as long as I accompany you everywhere. Sorry about that, but they don't want you escaping."

    This was too good to be true. It was a dream come true. Thanks to Haiden, I would have freedom and the opportunity to spend more time with him. It was perfect for me, which led to me smiling.

    "Thank you," I said, walking towards my now opened cell door. "Seriously, this is amazing. I can't believe you did this for me."

    I watched as blush flooded into Haiden's cheeks. He looked away as I went to his side and he scratched his neck, seeming awkward. It was adorable.

    "Come on, let's go eat," he said, walking off.

    I followed him down the dark hallway and soon we reached the stairs I had craved to step onto. Going up them, I was surprised to enter a room that looked like a living room. Haiden then entered another room and we were suddenly in a kitchen. Looking around, I realized their hideout was like any other regular home.

    "Hey guys," Haiden said. "Luna will join us for lunch. Okay?"

    My eyes flew to a dining table and I became surprised to see that The Demons were all sitting around it, staring at me. Most of them didn't look happy. Only Saniya did, smiling when we made eye contact, which calmed my nerves a bit. I didn't think I'd have to spend time with the other members of the gang and I began to feel uneasy.

    Haiden and I went to the table and sat down. On the table was a variety of food ranging from ribs to salad. Haiden immediately dug in and awkwardly, I followed him. As I got food for myself, I noticed everyone's eyes were on me the entire time.