Chapter 6

I was walking to the forest, wanting to see Haiden. After a sleepless night, I needed to see Haiden. I needed to get to know the new him or else I would be left wondering about him for the rest of my life.

From where I was in town, I could see the forest. It was huge. The trees towered high into the sky, showing me they were hundreds of years old. I had never truly explored the forest due to its vastness and I made a mental note to one day.

Nearing the forest, my heart skipped a beat as I anticipated seeing Haiden. But before I could cross the street to the forest, I heard sirens. Following the sirens were screams and I whirled around, wondering what was happening. Nothing happened in my town, so worry slammed into me.

I saw a young man sprinting towards where the sirens were and my eyes followed him. Panic was written across his face and I wondered what was going on. Was there a fire?

Suddenly, another man followed the man and this time, he screamed, "The Demons! The Demons are on the loose!"

Frightful screams followed his words and with wide eyes, my heart stopped. They were here. Haiden and his group were here.  

    I took a step forward, towards the sound of the sirens, but then I forced myself to stop. Thinking to what Blake told me, I knew they were dangerous. They were killers and it would be naive to approach them. Haiden alone I could handle, but four other criminals I wasn't so sure. That was why, I ran home.

*****

    I stepped into my home and shut the door. My heart was racing as I realized how serious The Demons were. They weren't some imaginary group, but instead real life criminals who were on the loose. My town wasn't safe and walking to the kitchen to grab a glass of water, I realized I was taking what Haiden was too lightly.

    With my thoughts clouding my mind, I hadn't heard Chelsea ranting to Peter in the kitchen. So when I entered it, I was surprised to see them there, looking furious as they stood by the sink. I had rarely seen them mad, so it was a shock.

"I can't believe they've escape!" exclaimed Chelsea. "They're a bunch of grown children and our forces can't take care of them?"

"They're powerful," Peter said, his eyebrows furrowed. "More powerful than we would have ever expected. It's understandable."

"They should have killed them." She leaned back, pressing her back to the counter. "They should have given them a death sentence for their horrible crimes."

"I agree," he said. "And next time they're caught they'll be sent to hell. Exactly where they belong."

I stepped back at their words, stunned. That was the last thing I wanted. Haiden couldn't be killed.

My shoes must've made a sound because Chelsea and Peter looked at me. Upon seeing me, their eyes softened and I stared at them, stunned. I wanted to tell them not to let that happen, but there was no way I could without explaining why.

"Luna, you're home," Chelsea said, her voice soft. "Good. It's not safe outside."

"Have you heard that The Demons are on the loose?" Peter asked. "Better to stay home from now on. It's not safe and we don't want anything to happen to you."