nature : chapter twenty-one

Please get 45+ comments, there's drama!!

-

It was Christmas Day now, and the family were at Luke's parents house.

Cory had brought his new remote control car with him, where he was racing it up and down the garden, him, Declan and Joel making ramps to make it jump, as well as chasing Molly around the garden with it, the poor dog being scared out of her mind.

Whereas Addy sat on her dads lap in the living room. Reece was awkward at family gatherings, he always had been, but when Luke's family hated him, it was even worse.

Luke was in the kitchen with his mum, helping her with the vegetables, "can you try and include Reece today? He thinks you all hate him," Luke said.

"I do hate him." Liz replied making Luke put the knife down.

"He's having my baby, your grandchild, you could try and sound happy for us at least." Luke said, "it may have been an accident but I want this baby now, so can you just deal with it?"

Liz sighed, "I'm trying to." She said, "I just can't get the image of you crying out of my head."

"I'm fine now." Luke said, before he sighed, "I'm going to check on the kids."

"Luke--"

Luke left the kitchen before she could say anything and went to the living room where Reece was sat on the sofa, Addy on his lap, resting her head on his chest as they watched the TV. Luke sat down beside Reece and kissed his cheek.

Reece smiled lightly at Luke, "I think Addy got Cory's cold." He said, running his hand through the tired girls hair. Addy had her hand on Reece's bump, rubbing at it.

Luke frowned, tipping Addy's head back and checking her head. "Oh baby." Luke sighed, "you can sleep early tonight."

Addy nodded, snuggling in to Reece's chest, and closing her eyes.

Then the doorbell rang, Ben standing up from the floor where he did a jigsaw puzzle with the smallest kid of their family, three year old Alyssa. Luke kept an eye on her as Ben went to answer the door, pulling jigsaw pieces from her mouth.

Luke leaned back again, looking at Reece, seeing his pale face. "You alright?"

"My mums here." He breathed, "Addy baby, sit there." Reece said, moving Addy to sit on the sofa beside him. Reece sat up straight, and then his mum walked in to the room, a bag of presents in her hand.

Luke stood up first, walking towards her, "it's nice to meet you." He said, knowing she'd been a shitty mum but wanting to make a good impression. "I'm Luke."

"You can call me Iris." She smiled, pulling Luke in for a hug. "You hurt my son and you're dead meat." She whispered making Luke's eyes widen behind her back, glancing at Ben, who snorted at him.

They pulled from the hug and Luke simply smiled. "Oh I brought the kids and Cory a present each," she said, handing Luke the red glittery bag full of wrapped up presents.

"Oh thank you, you didn't need to get Cory one, he's been spoiled enough his year." Luke smiled, stepping away and putting the presents near the tree, he'd let them open them after dinner.

Reece took in a deep breath, standing up before Addy shot up and hugged Iris tightly, "merry Christmas grandma." She smiled.

"You too sweet pea." Iris smiled, before Addy pulled away and Iris walked towards Reece, hugging him.

Luke saw her whisper something to Reece, watching Reece's face fall even more and furrowing his brows. What had she said?

At dinner, it was insanely awkward, Reece ate small bits because that's how his mother had always told him to eat, he only did it around her, but once she was gone, he would probably eat an entire cake alone.

The Hemmings clan were talking quietly, but not to the Grean family, though the kids were loud, Addy staying quiet, Liz had given her some medicine but she still felt sick.

Iris spoke up to get the party started, which would ultimately lead to the end of the party. "So how's the baby?" She asked, directing it to reece and Luke.

"It's going great." Luke answered, sensing Reece didn't want to talk to her. "We're having a scan next week, to find out the gender, so we'll know more then."

Iris nodded, "you'll have a lot of kids to handle then."

"We can handle it." Luke said. "We have so far, what's another one?"

Iris nodded before Liz spoke up, "so how was Reece as a kid?"

Reece snapped his head up at that and he gave his mum a pleading look, not to say anything. He hated his childhood.

"He was a pain in the ass." She said bluntly.

Reece dropped his knife and fork, "can you cut it out."

"I'm not doing anything." She said.

Reece rolled his eyes, "I get it, you didn't get your perfect family with me included but you don't need to tell everyone that I was a shitty kid." He said, the kids gasping at his swear words.

Liz spoke up, "calm down everyone."

"none of this would be happening if you weren't gay." Iris responded to her son.

Luke sucked in a breath, standing up, "kids can you go sit outside." He said, the eight kids in the family, listening and going outside. Luke then looked down at Iris. "okay I only invited you because you're Reece's mum and you're suppose to spend Christmas together, but I'm already regretting it if you're gonna be homophobic to your son."

Iris scoffed, "it's all that Ashton boys fault."

"you're saying his name like I wasn't with him for 12 years" Reece argued.

Iris laughed bitterly, "he wasn't family he was just a mistake because you think you're gay and now poor Luke is in the same boat because you went and got yourself pregnant."

Liz stood up when Iris brought her son in to the argument. "I won't have you start talking bullshit about my son, my son is a good father and partner for Reece, and I won't have you blaming Reece for getting pregnant, do you even love your son? Because I love mine and I'd do anything for my Luke." Liz said, and though she may not like Reece now, she would learn to because Reece was family now.

Iris rolled her eyes, standing up, her chair squeaking as she pushed it back. She grabbed her bag before walking around the table to Reece, "don't bother to call me, or your sister, you're not my son anymore."

Then she left, making Reece whimper and wipe his eyes. Luke sighed and pulled Reece in to his arms, rubbing his back slowly, letting him cry in to his neck.

Jack sat across the table, putting his arms behind his head. "just another eventful day in the hemmings household." He chuckled.

Celeste slapped he back of his head, "not the time, Jack."

-

Iris is a meanie pants

FEEDBACK

eight fucking kids in that family and more to come yikES

Liz and Luke in the kitchen??

what Iris said to them?? Disowning Reece?

Predictions?? Thoughts? Doing well today? Did you get enough sleep? Did you get some cute underwear? Did you dream of your crush?? I hope you have a good day everyone ily