The Works

Chrissie

The limo pulled up somewhere in a busy London Street and deposited us on the pavement, Brent with his sunglasses and baseball cap, plus the two wannabes from men in black and me as the little alien.

Holding my hand by interlacing his fingers with mine and with the wannabes behind, we traipsed into a really upmarket boutique, that screamed lots of money required here.

"Why are we here" I whispered to Brent as the place had that affect on me like it should be reveried.

"To get you some dresses"

"But I can't afford these isn't there a New Look around here"

"I'm paying remember it was part of the bet" he whispered back.

"Then that makes it even more important to shop for something cheaper, you can't waste your money on me, or is that in the bet to"

"Yep it is"

"Why was I so stupid to make that bet, it's making my life hell"

"Most women I know love to buy posh new clothes"

"Well find one of those and waste your money on them and perhaps they will go to the gala with you, you'll win hands down"

Stop!" He commanded. "Will you stop complaining, you are going to the gala and you will be dressed up to look the part, okay"

"No, I will not stop complaining"

Two super models appeared as if by magic and started to fuss over Brent.

"Mr Simons, so nice to see you again, how may we help you" one of the super models purred in upper class English, while the other stood preening herself.

"I want you to clothe this young lady for me" pointing to me, they flashed me fake smiles and I reciprocated.

"She needs everything and lots of each" he finished with

"What!" I squealed "I only need one dress, thank you"

"Don't argue" he growled.

"I'm not arguing, I putting you straight"

"Fine go try them on and we'll choose the best okay"

"Fine" I replied with a satisfactory grin on my face.

Now I know as much about designer clothes and dresses as I do about quantum mechanics nothing, so when the glam twins started dumping dresses and lingerie in the  dressing room and then proceeded to speak to me in a foreign language.

About matching somebody's underwear with someone else's dress and this handbag goes with this and so on, I mean come on I only own one dress and that came from New Look and did my last sisters wedding okay, so why do I need a designer dress and why the hell do I need a handbag, that's what pockets in jeans are for.

Still I smiled my fake smile and gushed when it was appropriate and eventually, we were all agreed on my dress and accessories, well they agreed I just went along with it so I could get out of there.

I walked out of the dressing room so Mr hotshot could see what he was wasting his money on, to find him chatting to some gorgeous blonde, seems he's forgotten about me already.

The blonde looked up and saw me she smiled and then her eyes went wide.

"Brent is this your girlfriend she is absolutely stunning"

What did she say is she from a different planet, I watched as Brent turned around, I was feeling rather uncomfortable with everyone staring at me, as though I was a piece of prime beef in a cattle auction.