Chapter 26 - Safe

This chapter is dedicated to KylieNightingale! Happy reading! :)

~~~~~~~~~~

Airi pov:

"Cero."

I felt the hollow power of my soul concentrate in the center of my collarbone. The mauve colored energy that matched the color of my hair and eyes shot out at Aldrik with its signature resonating sound.

My smirk widened as Aldrik took the shot head on. The wind picked up around us, pushing against me violently in recoil. I heard startled yelps from those standing behind me but even as they were thrown back at the power, they managed to hold their ground several meters away from me.

As for Aldrik, he had suffered the damage of the Cero. Debris rose around him as he skidded to a halt almost two hundred meters from where I stood. He was breathing heavily and bleeding. The arm he had used to block had taken most of the damage and he dropped the now completely useless limb to his side. He was panting and blood dripped from multiple parts of his body. Almost two thirds of the Heirro that covered his chest had crumbled as well.

And just as I had guessed, as I took these few seconds to observe our surroundings, more than half of Crocus looked like it never existed.

"You....b****!" Aldrik hissed through his gasps making me look at his crumbling form. "How dare.....a lowly half....shinigami do this to me! I am an Arrancar stronger than Ulquiorra even in his second resurrection form! How dare a stinking half breed shinigami do this to me!!"

I was panting since the full power Cero had drained out a good amount of my reiatsu. But I tightened the grip on my zanpakuto as more dark reiatsu flared around Alrdik. He wasn't ready to give up just yet, was he?

I took a deep breath and tried to collect some more reishii from my surroundings. But this world wasn't like my world. The reishii wasn't strong and in abundance. The human world had a decent amount of reishii but Soul Society and Hueco Mundo had more because every bit of what was built there was made of reishii as the base component.

Even if I did try to absorb reishii from here, my body was tattered. If I didn't finish this fight soon, I was going to be giving Aldrik the advantage. There were too many people here who would get hurt and I couldn't allow that. I had to protect these people. After all, Arrancar didn't belong in this world to begin with.

"Don't judge a book by its cover, Aldrik. Didn't anyone ever teach you that? And it would have been better if you didn't put down a shinigami who has mastered hollowfication. It gives us power to even surpass Arrancar like you. And it was with this very technique that a half breed shinigami like myself, twice as powerful, defeated Aizen. So don't you even think that I'm going to let you survive this fight." I narrowed my eyes with a smirk.

"You shouldn't think that you'll survive, b****! Because I'm going to be the one to rip you to shreds!!"

I gasped as he disappeared from view. His Sonido was faster than it was before, probably because of his rage. I barely blocked as he attacked from my right side. My arms trembled, muscles burning as I felt the strain. My whole body was aching and I was already feeling sort of dizzy. I had lost a lot of blood and the blood from the wounds on my torso and back were still leaving splotches on the ground. I was in really bad shape....I just hope I could survive this.

We took off to the sky and clashed katanas several times. After a burst of energy, Aldrik too had come back to the level at which he was fighting before. We were evenly matched and with each attack, our energies dropped.

"You're so damn persistent! It's getting annoying!" Aldrki screamed across the sky.

He moved around me trying to attack from different sides. He managed to leave a thin slice across my left cheek and I felt the thin line of blood roll down till my jaw. I struck back hard, leaving a gash across his now exposed chest and torso. He cursed and reached out with his hand, unexpectedly, and grabbed my hair at the roots.