Chapter 37 - Heartstrings

Airi pov:

"Are you ready, Ai chan?" Kisuke san grinned cheerily from behind his fan that covered the lower half of his face.

I was about to nod but my smile faltered. Was I really doing the right thing? Should I really be meeting Aizen? I know I was the one who requested to see him because I really did want to.....but why did I feel so uneasy about it now?

What would it be like when I saw him? How would he look with all the seals put to keep him and his reiatsu at bay? How would I react to seeing him like that?

I let out a heavy sigh as I looked down. Everything was silent for a moment before I heard footsteps and a gentle hand on my shoulder. I looked up to meet Kisuke san's gray gaze. His fan was no longer covering his face and he was giving me an understanding smile.

"You'll be fine, Ai chan. The Ai chan I know is a strong hearted girl. After all, you went to the other world, survived with such different people, made them accept you, protected them from an Arrancar and even had the warm heart to accept a lonely Espada as a comrade. You are much more than what meets the eyes. I know that you will be just fine."

"Thank you, Kisuke san. I'm just a little nervous to see him. It's been so long and we didn't really part on friendly terms. I still remember how it felt...." Rather than my hand clutching the cloth above my stomach where I had been pierced with his Zanpakuto, my hand went to the place above my heart where it twinged.

"Well well!! We don't have time to be dilly dallying all day! You still have to go back with your handsome prince, right? So off you go!" He teased, letting go of me and going back to his cheerful, jovial self.

"Yeah. Let's go, Sado?"

He was watching me curiously, unaware of what I meant when I spoke to Kisuke san. He just nodded and I held up Ichi nii's shinigami substitute badge and got into my spirit body. My real body was caught by Tessai san and he hauled it up over his shoulder.

I looked down at myself smiling. "Wow! It's so nostalgic to be in these shinigami hakamas! It's been so long since I've been in them."

I gave another nod to Kisuke san and Sado and I ran into the Senkaimon that Kisuke san had opened in the training grounds below his shop. The Squashing Ram didn't waste any time in racing towards us as we ran to the other end of the Severed World. Sado and I laughed and I stuck my tongue out at the Squashing Ram as we easily out beat its speed. It was a good twenty feet behind us when we jumped out of the Senkaimon that opened up in the bright blue sky of Soul Society.

Sado landed in crouched position while I rolled before coming to a stop in standing position.

I took a deep breath of the reishii filled air. It was nostalgic and it brought a wide grin upon my lips. Soul Society hadn't really changed in terms of appearance. We stood in Seireitei and I closed my eyes as I took in the feeling of sensing all the shinigami and residents of Rukongai just outside the compound. I sensed several of the shinigami I knew personally – the Captains, the Lieutenants, and other shinigami best friends who had all become much stronger than I remember them to be. And of course, not to forget Yamamoto san, the Captain Commander of the Gotei 13.

I opened my eyes feeling refreshed. I was so happy to see this place again. It was after all, another unforgettable part of my life.

I didn't wait for Sado as I raced ahead towards the Squad 1 barracks to meet Yamamoto san and all the other Captains in the meeting room. Kisuke san had already informed everyone that I would be visiting and they had decided to set up and official meeting to talk to me. All the respective Lieutenants would be attending as well. Uff, how typical of the Captain Commander.