Chapter 29 - Memories

Cobra pov:

I can hear it. I can hear their footsteps, their thoughts, the decisions and conclusions they had in their minds.

I sat with my eyes closed, leaning with my back against the mossy wall and an arm on my upright knee in this musty prison cell. Just like all this time I had been here.

After the fight with the dragons, I had willingly gotten arrested again. I had heard some great things that gave me a new goal. I had heard Cubelios too. I had nothing to do now besides wait for the right moment before I broke out of here and got the chance to once again do what I wanted to.

But until then, it was just me in this prison cell.

I was surprised to hear others coming into this prison hold though. Only those considered to be very strong and dangerous were locked up here with chains that subdued their maryoku. I wonder who else could possibly be such a threat to the Magic Council besides people from Dark Guilds.

Although, I remember one of the voices that I could hear in the distance. Wasn't it that Airi person who took down three dragons without a sweat? No...I don't think it was possible for her to have done that. I could barely land a scratch on a dragon despite being a Dragon Slayer and she had taken out three? How stupid!

She had taken out the dragon I was fighting with one shot though. I had seen that myself so there was no way that what she had done was unreal. But what was she doing in this underground prison with the Council Members?

Ah....they didn't trust her after the incident, did they?

I opened my eye to look at her as she walked past my cell in the corridor. Just as I had guessed, Airi was there. Her wrists weren't shackled but she was led into the cell next to mine. There was another boy with her who followed her into the cell and looked at the Council members warily. I hadn't seen him before....his constant questioning and hesitation in his thoughts were starting to get sort of annoying.

"Kurosaki Airi, you will have to wait here until the Ten Saints are done with their meeting. In the meantime, we would like to have a look at your memories to guage your powers as well as your loyalty." The guy with the glasses I remember to be called Lahar spoke to her sternly.

I heard Airi's heart beat unsteadily for a moment. She looked at the floor with an amused chuckle.

"My memories, huh?" She mumbled and I narrowed my eyes when I heard her thoughts.

"They're not really happy ones....in fact, most of my childhood is filled with memories of being called a freak. Just when I thought things were perfect, he betrayed us all and then I was almost killed by him. But it did give me good memories being here with Fairy Tail...."

"You still don't trust me, do you, Lahar san?" She looked up amused, but the thoughts in her head showed that she was disappointed and unhappy. "Even after the fight with the dragons and the Arrancar....when I nearly died. I gave it my all to protect the people here and I put my life on the line. That Arrancar could have killed all of you in less than a blink of an eye and.....even after everything I did, I'm still standing in the place of a criminal."

"Nee san...." The boy looked at her sad and Lahar and Doranbolt looked a little flustered.

"No matter. You can go ahead and see my memories. Although, you probably won't like what you see. It's much more gore than what happens with the Guilds and the Council."

Gore? Even more that what we experienced here? As if! I wasn't going to believe a word she said!

"W-whatever the case, we will project your memories so we can have a look." Lahar reached out into his cloak and pulled out some sort of device and put it around her forehead. It was like a strap and had a magic gem in the center.