Chapter Nine: Busy, Crazy Day

Chapter Nine

            “Hey Cammie? Are you coming over today?” I ask as I tap my fingers on the lunch table.

            Cam looks my way and the hoe pulls away a little. “Sorry And. Can’t. I am going with some my boys out,” he says with a frown.

            “It’s cool,” and I glance towards Lexi.

            “I’m so sorry! I can’t Noah and I are hanging out,” she says giving me a smile, but I couldn’t be mad at her about that though.

            Noah is a 19 years old, pretty awesome guy and the town’s preacher’s son. He and Lexi have been dating since she was in 10th grade and he’s now in college.

            “Its fine,” I say with a smile back and go to look at Kayden and he is still staring at his food. “Kayden are you ok?” I ask starting to get worried.

            “Huh? Oh yeah! I’m fine!” he says grabbing his tray and hurrying away from the table. Lexi and I exchange looks and she quickly gets up and follows him. This is probably just one of Kayden’s weird spacey moments.

            “Sorry, Aaron. My friends aren’t normally like this. I don’t know what’s wrong,” I say offering a smile.

            Cameron glares up, “We don’t do well with outsiders,” he grumbles.

            “Maybe it’s because you’re with some new kid,” the hoe suggests.

            I glance up over at Cameron, who knows I hate it when his hoe’s talk to me! “Why is the hoe talking?” I ask bluntly.

            She gasps and Cam bites his lip to contain his laughter. Standing up I motion for Aaron to come with and we leave the cafeteria.

            The day ends normally and I wait outside for a ride home. Lexi skips over towards me smiling and a happy Kayden and annoyed Cameron follow. We all climb into the truck and head home. Kayden yapping the hole ride about random things while Cameron stares blankly out the windshield.

            The car ride was silent and we pull into my drive where I slip out of the car and skip towards my house. I race to my room throwing off the heels and pulling on some socks the stripping off my shirt, replacing it with a blue spaghetti strap top, and then I stuff my feet in a pair of cowboy boots. Shoving my cell phone in my pocket I run down stairs and out the back door towards our barns and pastures. My red roane horse, Roo runs over to the fence allowing me to put a halter on her and lead her out of the field. I grab a brush and begin to stroke her soft hair. The wind was gentle and the sun was not too bright, it was the perfect day.  The farm was silent except for the sound of all the animals.

            “I love you Roo, Roo,” I whisper as I kiss her noses.

            “And I thought you loved me?” A strong voice says from behind me causing me to jump as I spin around to face the voice’s holder. There he stands with his brown hair and hoodie selves in rolls at his elbow with his wrangler jeans and boot.

            “Of course I love you, Kayden,” I say with a smile. His smile grows as he leans over grabbing a brush and brush Roo. “What are you doing here Kayden?” I ask raising an eyebrow.

            “Just thought I’d hang with you,” he shrugs as he continues to brush.

            “Oh ok,” I smile, I love him so much. “So what was up at lunch?” I ask continuing to brush.