Chapter 3: Not Such a Jerk

~from (y/n)'s POV~
You got lost.
Big surprise.
Normally, being lost wasn't a problem. Eventually, you'd find a street map or land in wi-fi central and ask Google, but right now, you were in what people call the bad part of the city. There was nobody around, and you somehow found yourself amidst apartment buildings with only the foundation laid on one side and what looked like a bank up for demolition on the other.
Just when you were about to give up in despair, you saw a normal-looking guy by the bank.
Ugh! I hate talking to strangers! I'm so much better on the Internet, when I don't have to have an answer ready right away. When people ask me things, I panic and don't respond right...ugh society is too much pressure!
But if I don't find my way back now, I might never...

Taking a deep breath, you went up to the guy.
"Um, e-excuse me," you whispered, but you were too quiet and he couldn't hear you. "Um, excuse me!" you said, trying again, and he pivoted his head, staring at you for a few moments too long. "Umm, I w-was wondering if you c-could give me directions?"
He didn't respond for a few seconds, but then he smiled. Relief poured through your veins. I was right to ask for directions! "Sure thing, missy." He stood up and walked up to you before taking your hand and tugging you along.
"U-umm, s-sorry but w-where are we g-going?" you asked haltingly, falling into step behind him. "I didn't t-tell you where I live yet."
"It's okay, missy. I know where I'm going."
Something feels wrong...no way! It's just because I'm nervous, is all. I need to stop worrying about everything. A nice guy just said he'd help me find the way home. Why am I so nervous about that? I should be feeling lucky!
Just then, you heard footsteps coming from behind you, and fast. You began to turn over your shoulder to look, but by then, the person was already past you, and before you could move, their fist drove into your guide's face. He dropped your hand, swearing, and you fell to the ground, skinning your hands on the rough street as you reached out to cushion the blow. That's when you finally realized who your attacker was.
"Levi?" you asked incredulously, and he punched the man again before turning to you and scowling.
"What the f**k are you doing, (y/n)? You shouldn't be around here, and not with guys like this-" He drove his elbow into the man's face, and he fell back, one hand covering his nose in an effort to staunch the blood flow as he began swearing.
"What's wrong with him? He was just being nice. He was going to give me directions-"
"Are you really that big of an idiot, (y/n)?" Levi yelled, and you flinched. "Wherever he was taking you, it wasn't home. Don't come here anymore, got it?"
You nodded (angry Levi is scary Levi - Eek!) and he turned towards the man. "And you. If I ever see you again, I'm going to break your face into a thousand pieces and commission the shards to be made into a stained glass window, got it?"
He turned back towards you. "Are you okay?" he asked, but it came out sounding harsh.
Maybe that's just how everything sounds with him. "I'm fine-" you began to say, but he was already bending down and inspecting you. He grabbed your wrists and looked at your hands, narrowing his eyes at the abrasions and scrapes.
He stood up and, without asking for permission, picked you up and began carrying you.
"What- what are you doing?" you asked frantically. "I told you! I'm fine! I can walk!"
"This is faster," he snapped. "You're shorter than I am. How can your stubby legs expect to keep up with me? They can't, and I don't want to be slowed down by a naive idiot like you. Didn't Dad tell you about stranger danger?"
You struggled for an answer, momentarily caught off guard by the mention of your father, but you quickly made up a response. "Well, yeah, but...I was lost, and..."
Levi just sighed. "What am I supposed to do with you?"
"Throw me on the couch and lock the door to your room?"
He glared at you.
"Eek!"
"That's another thing," he snapped. "Why are you always saying that? It's bloody annoying!"
Eek! You being annoyed is verrrrry scary! "N-no reason..."
"Then don't do it!"
When you finally got back to Levi's apartment, he sat you down in the kitchen and wrapped his hands in gauze, alternatively glaring at you and muttering about your stupidity. Afterwards, he immediately left, leaving you all alone in the apartment.

~from Levi's POV~
I needed to get out for a bit. I'd always thought that when I finally met her, I would hate her for leaving, for not coming back, for abandoning me, for abandoning Mom.
But I don't think I can hate her.
She's small (shorter than me - NOT that I am short in any way), shy, nervous in some weird jittery way, and seems to get jump scares from something as simple as hearing the phone ring. Then there's the obvious fact that she's completely oblivious to danger, not in a brave way, but in an ignorant way. She seems like a little animal that needs protecting.
Of course, that doesn't mean that I have to protect her, just that she seems like the kind of person that will make me worry about her.
Not that I care about her.
***
There's another thing, too. I wonder how Dad is. I told (y/n) that I knew why she transferred, but that wasn't the truth. All I got was a letter from her addressed merely to "ACKERMAN" asking if she could stay for a little while. What made her leave?