Chapter 47: The Final Game!

~from (y/n)'s POV~
You went back to school from then on and showed up to basketball club every day. Even if you felt sick and couldn't do much, you at least sat on the bench to support the team.
Some days, you were in so much pain that you couldn't even cheer for your team, and on those occasions, Levi would immediately notice and run over, not saying anything, just handing you a water bottle or rubbing your back or holding your hand until the pain passed.
You weren't sure when he noticed about you being sick or when he'd truly found out how bad it was, but neither of you acknowledged it.
You also never discussed the fact that you hadn't seen Himuro since you'd been hospitalized, even though you went to sleep each night holding your cell phone, hoping it would ring and wake you up with a call from him, but it never did.
***
(H/s/n)'s basketball actually continued doing really well, even advancing all the way into the Winter Cup Final Bracket. You'd been at every game on the bench with Hanji and Armin. Because she couldn't cook without turning the food into a biological threat, you handled the lemons in honey and such little things that made the team pretty much love you.
Soon, there were only two teams left - (h/s/n) and Yosen.
I'll get to see Himuro! you immediately thought, wanting for that to happen so much that it hurt. But...I won't be able to cheer him on...Even though I only really joined because I wanted to see him play, I can't root for him this time. Right now, I'm here as the manager of (h/s/n). I owe it to my team to help them win, even just in spirit!
And that's how you ended up sitting on a bench, Hanji and Armin already talking to the team as you stared across the court at a boy with dark hair who wore a uniform with YOSEN written on it.
Truth was, you felt a lot worse than you usually did, but you knew that if you let any of your pain come across on your face, Levi would notice and be distracted from the game. He'd come too far to lose just because of you. You could fake a smile for a few hours, couldn't you? You had to at least try.
The game started with (h/s/n)'s now well-known (but still unconventional) first string: Levi, acting as both point guard and power forward, Sakurai (shooting guard), Eren (center), Mayuzumi (small forward), and Koganei (second small forward). Despite its lack of tradition, the setup had worked rather well for the team. It had led them all the way here, hadn't it?
The first and seconds quarters blew by quickly in an extremely fast-paced game, with Levi and Himuro being the top scorers for their respective teams. Murisakabara was an amazing defensive center, but his size was what made him great - and what made Levi a great match-up, as Levi was smaller (don't tell him that) and could maneuver more easily and with greater speed. On the flip side, Murisakabara on offense was difficult for the team to handle, so they focused on offense more than defense and made sure to keep up point for point. By the end of the second quarter, everyone was exhausted, and the score was 87-77, Yosen in the lead.
(H/s/n) filed into their locker room, nobody speaking.
Finally, "You guys are doing really well! I know that you guys can win!" you said with enthusiasm, and everybody regained a bit of energy.
"Yeah! We can do this, guys! We can go all the way!" Koganei said, grinning at you and giving you a thumbs up.
"Well, obviously. Why else would I be wasting my time here?" Levi snapped, but everyone smiled, now used to Levi's anti-charm charisma.
With everyone pumped up, you all left the locker room only to run into some reporters.
"Wait!" one of them yelled, running after you. "We have some questions from Please!"
Hanji shrugged and turned towards the cameras, smiling widely. "Ask away!"
"Um...well, the first question here is 'Hanji!! Can I touch your hair!!!'"
Hanji grinned and flipped her hair over her shoulder before adjusting her glasses. "Of course, Go ahead!"
As petted Hanji's hair (somewhat creepily), the reporter turned back to the team. "Um...this one is for Levi."
Levi just raised an eyebrow. "My hair and body are strictly hands-off," he said, and the reporter shook his head.

"Um, said, 'I want you to go to school wearing a teddy bear outfit as revenge!' Do you have any comments on that?"
Levi just glared at the reporter until he shivered, turned pale, and looked away.
"Ummm, then...this one is for (y/n)," he tried, and Levi continued glaring at him. " wanted to know if she could get a hug?"
You smiled happily. "Of course-"
"I don't care who this brat is, but she's not allowed to touch (y/n)," Levi snapped coldly, glaring alternatively between the reporter and who had stopped petting Hanji's hair.
"Awww," said, pouting slightly. "But she looks so small and cute...I just want to hug her tightly until she goes unconscious, then steal her away in my car, and keep her all for myself."
By this point, you were shivering nervously. "Eeek!" you said softly, scared of being abducted by your loving readers (or psycho fans).
The reporter cleared his throat. "Um, there's just...one question left...This one is to Eren."
Eren smiled. "Over here!"
" wants to know if you like (y/n)?"
Eren just stood there with his mouth open like an awkward fish.
"Do you have any response to that question?" the reporter asked.
"Ummmmmmm...." Eren mumbled, blushing madly, but you weren't really paying attention, as you were keeping an eye on and trying not to be abducted.
Before Eren could answer the question, Levi came over and punched him in the face.
"Hey! What the hell was that for?!" Eren asked angrily.
"Who gave you permission to like my sister?" Levi growled, and Eren frowned.
"When did I ever say that I liked her?"
"Oh? Was your answer no then?" Levi asked, leaning in closer, and Eren avoided eye contact.
"Umm...."
Hanji popped up out of nowhere and draped an arm around their shoulders, forcibly dragging them back. "C'mon! We've got a game to win! So beat each other up later, okay? I still need you guys!"
Armin started spouting technical jargon about a new play he'd created, and you followed them all back to the bench, but before you could sit down, someone grabbed your sleeve and pulled you away from the team.
"What-" you began, turning to see who it was, and you were met with a familiar face.
"(Y/n)," Mikasa began, "I just...I never had a good chance to apologize to you."
"Apologize? For what?" you asked, tilting your head.
"(y/n)...I'm the one who told the teacher that you cheated on a test. If it weren't for me, you might have been okay that day. You might not have ended up in the hospital-"
You rested a hand on her shoulder, smiling gently. "But I did, so it's no use worrying about what might have happened. I'm here now, right?"
She shook her head. "After what happened...After what I've done...I don't deserve your forgiveness-"
"But I forgive you," you said, still smiling, "so you can't do anything about it, okay?"
She stared at you for a second before hugging you. "Ugh! I just can't help it! I tried to hate you but you're just too adorable, (y/n)-chan!" she said before putting you back down, her emotionless mask falling back over her face except for a small smile and blush. "Good luck!" she said, waving over her shoulder. "I'll be cheering you on from the stands!"
You waved until she was gone, then took your place on the bench.
The third quarter was about to start