Chapter 21: Still Breathing

~from Himuro's POV~
Despite her injuries, (y/n) managed to wake up only a few hours later. "What...happened?" she asked, and I looked up, suddenly alert.
As of the moment, I was the only one in the room. Unable to repeat the awful details yet again, I just gave her a tight smile. "You're okay, (y/n). You're okay."
It was only when she gently rested her hand on mine that I noticed that I was shaking. Tears were close, but I pushed them away. I'd already cried today, and the last person I wanted to be weak in front of was (y/n).
"I'm okay," she whispered, as though reassuring me, and I nodded, still doubtful. "Am I...in Levi's room?" she asked, looking around with confusion on her face.
I nodded. "We brought you in here to rest."
"We?"
"Me, Levi..let's see, who else...I'm pretty sure that Hanji, Sasha, and Eren are still here too."
"Really?" (y/n) asked, her face lightly up, although it was still pale, especially in contrast to her bruises. "Can I go see them?"
I hesitated, wanting to say, No, (y/n), you should rest until you feel better, but then I realized - (y/n) might not have that many birthdays left.
If she wants to see her friends, then I need to let her. With a smile that was only half forced, I nodded, holding out a hand to stabilize her, but when she swung her legs to the floor and tried to walk, she nearly collapsed.
I caught her, looking into her eyes with alarm. Did she break an ankle and we didn't even see it?
She winced, smiling at me. "It's not what you think. I'm not injured, I just...I just can't seem to stop shaking," she admitted quietly, and I just nodded.
I was her brother - half be damned - and my job was to be (y/n)'s foundation, her strongest support. With a real smile, I swung her into my arms. "This is the brother's job," I joked, and she laughed, poking me in the cheek.
"And the sister gets to be the princess."
"Right," I agreed, winking, and she leaned closer.
"Himuro?"
I paused in front of the door frame, still inside Levi's room. "Yeah, (y/n)?"
"Can I ask for something from you, since it's my birthday?"
My eyes twinkled. "Of course, (y/n). You can ask me for anything." No matter how impossible, because I am your support.
"Himuro, when you smile, can it always be your real smile?" she asked, and I blinked, startled.
"What do you mean?"
The corners of her mouth tugged down. "It's just...sometimes when you look at me, your eyes are saying one thing and your smile is saying another, and it's not hard to tell which is lying."
I stared into her eyes before sighing and giving her a half-smile. "Okay, (y/n). Just for you, though, got it?"
She laughed, and the sound was beautiful to my ears. "Because sisters get special treatment."
I smiled before carrying her through the door and into the kitchen, where all of her friends were still gathered, everyone keeping their thoughts to themselves except for Hanji, who was rambling on about something.

~from (y/n)'s POV~
"(Y/N)!" Hanji yelled as soon as she saw you.
You grinned, waving down at her from Himuro's arms. He's so tall! Genetics isn't fair...
"Happy birthday!!" Hanji yelled, then slapped a hand over her mouth. "Ohmygosh, sorry, maybe it's not the best time-"
"No fair!" Eren pouted, making you laugh. "I was going to tell her first."
Sasha nodded, shoving a pretzel in her mouth before mumbling a "Happybirthday(y/n)" as quickly as possible and cramming another pretzel in.
"How're you feeling, brat?" asked a familiar voice from the far side of the kitchen, where Levi was standing.
You gave him a half-smile, because what you'd told Himuro was true - lying smiles were a waste of potential. If you couldn't be honest, then you shouldn't do it. "Thank you, Levi. Without you...I don't...I don't know-" You clasped your hands together, struggling to keep up your spirit. "Well, that's not true...I do know, but-"
"Shut up, brat," Levi muttered as he walked out of the kitchen, resting his hand on your head for a second while averting his eyes. "And...happy birthday." Then he breezed past you and Himuro and into his room.
Your eyes were wide from his sudden display of affection. Levi? Patting my head? Whaaaaaaaaat?
But then you turned back to your friends, all of whom were waiting expectantly with matching smiles, a cake on the table.
"C'mon, (y/n)! You have to blow out the candles and make a wish!"
"You have to sing the song FIRST, Hanji! THE SONG!"
"Shut up, Eren! I knew that!"
You grinned at their bickering and nodded to Himuro to set you down, which he did.
Then all of you had cake (correction: you got about two forkfuls, same as everyone else, before the rest of the cake mysteriously disappeared in combination with a suspicious look on Sasha's face).
Himuro pulled you off to the side for a second. "I want to give you the rest of today with your friends, and I'll schedule our own celebration for Saturday, okay?"
You nodded. "Thanks, Himuro, for everything."
"(Y/n)...will you be okay without me here?" He was watching your eyes, ready for signs of lying in case you tried to pretend that you were fine.
You hesitated a moment before nodding. "I think I'll be all right, and if anything happens-"
"I'm just one phone call away," he finished for you, and you smiled gratefully.
"I'm here too, you know!" Eren said. "I can protect...(y/n)..." As the two of you turned to look at him, he started blushing harder and was forced to look away. "I mean...like...HANJI STOP LAUGHING AT ME!"
And thus you got to celebrate your birthday anyhow. Hanji gave you a phone strap with a pair of glasses keychain, Sasha gave you the wrapper of a chocolate bar before apologizing for its absence, and Eren got you a book.
"I mean...you just seemed like you like reading," he mumbled, avoiding eye contact with you. "And...it's not a horror one. I made sure."
"Thanks, Eren!" you said, wrapping your arms around his neck and giving him a hug before also hugging Hanji and Sasha, not noticing the strange shade of pink that Eren was turning.
"Hey! You know what I'm thinking?" Hanji asked after Sasha and Eren left, waving goodbye. "SLEEPOVER!"
"Hell no," snapped Levi, leaning against the door frame. "I don't want you in my house any longer, freak," he muttered towards Hanji, who just rolled her eyes.
"Figures," she said, laughing before waving goodbye.
"I'm going to walk Hanji back to her apartment," Levi said before going out with Hanji.
But isn't her apartment right next door? Oh well. It's dark out. Maybe that's why?

~from Hanji's POV~
Levi? Escorting me? What the heck could have prompted this?
Outside his apartment, he sighed and stopped. "Hanji...I'm sorry."
"For what?" I asked, genuinely stumped.
"For not believing you and ignoring what you said about (y/n)." He was staring angrily down at the ground.
I put a hand on his shoulder. "You came through when it counted." With that, I turned to go back inside my own apartment, leaving Levi to return on his own.