Chapter 4: A New Friend

~from (y/n)'s POV~
Levi didn't come home that night, and although you wanted to go out and search for him...
1) You still didn't even know your street name, and...
2) It was dark outside.
So, because you were scared and had a tendency to get lost, you stayed home and ate ice cream instead. Then you changed into comfy PJ's and turned on the TV.
"-in other news, two new murder victims-"
Nope. Click.
"No! Please! Don't bite me!" The vampire lunged-
Nope. Click.
"Yep. Cherry, I'll call you back, okay?" A petite strawberry-blonde dropped her cellphone in her purse and used a key to get into her house, immediately greeted by a fluff ball that must have been a dog but looked more like a marshmallow with legs.
"This one looks fine," you whispered to yourself, settling back into the couch.
The main character stopped petting the walking cotton ball and walked into the other room, reaching for the fridge, but then someone jumped out from behind her and swung an axe at her head.
"EEEEEEEeeeek!" you screamed, jumping up off the couch and falling over it, reaching blindly over to the other side for the TV remote. You could still hear the strawberry blonde screaming and the sound of gurgling blood.
Finally, you snatched up the remote and button mashed with your eyes closed until you heard the TV turn off.
Shakily, you peered over the couch and were relieved to see a black screen. Sighing, you sagged against the back of the couch, waiting for your heart to slow down.
"What the hell are you doing?" Levi asked (eeeek! when did he get here?!) and you looked up, face still pale.
"Just...relaxing."
"Behind the couch?"
".....It's comfortable."
"Tch. Whatever, freak. Just stop screaming in someone else's house, got it? And if you're going to get scared, then don't watch TV."
"Well, not every show is scary," you replied defensively.
"(Y/n), pretty much every channel is screening horror features right now because it's Halloween next week," he said, and you could hear the eye roll in his voice.
Wait. Did he just say...
HALLOWEEN?!
***
The next morning, you arrived at your first hour class without incident. The problem was, you didn't know anyone in this class.
"Hey," a guy said, coming up to your desk.
"Ummm...hi," you replied nervously. It didn't escape your notice that he was fairly attractive.
"You're Hanji and Sasha's new friend, right?" he asked.
You nodded. "D-do you know them?"
He nodded, grinning. "We go way back." He stuck out a hand, smiling even more brightly. "I'm Eren, by the way."
You shook his hand lightly, feeling slightly awkward. "(Y/n)..."
He grinned. "Nice to meet you, (y/n)."
Just then, the teacher called for attendance, and Eren went back to his seat with a wave.
***
The first half of the day wound up being okay because Eren, Hanji, and Sasha, but advisory was what scared you.
You decided to sit by yourself and just be quiet, but Levi ruined those plans when he pulled his desk up to yours.
"Hey, brat," he said, leaning his elbows on your desk.
"Umm, hi Levi..."
"Hey, Levi," asked the guy from the day before. "I thought you said you didn't know her?"
Levi glared at the kid. "So I lied. So what?" He turned towards the class. "This is my sister, you got that, you freaks? Now f**k off."
"Wait, she's his sister?" you heard someone whisper. "But she's so..."
"...quiet..."
"She looks nice," someone said, but they sounded unsure.
"She's sort of cute. In that absent-minded way..."
"Well, I guess it makes sense..."
"Yeah, they're both so..."
"SHORT."
Levi's head snapped around. "I swear I'm going to rip your head from your neck and-"
"Mr. Ackerman," the teacher scolded, and Levi resorted to glaring menacingly and keeping his mouth shut.
You gently put your hand on his elbow. "Levi? It's okay? You're not really that short."
He looked at you, and although you flinched back from his gaze, you didn't look away. "Yeah but...doesn't it make youangry?"
You tilted your head. "Why should I care? I am short. It doesn't really bother me."
"See, that's your problem, (y/n). You're too scared of what other people think."
But didn't I just say that I really don't care?
"You're afraid of everything. You can't even watch a scary movie, brat!"
"That's not- well, yeah, you've got a point there."
"What's with that, just giving in?"
Ten minutes of arguing followed (which was mainly just Levi yelling at you and you trying to not melt under his glare), and then advisory was dismissed.
***
"You did WHAT?" Hanji asked, her eyes wide in eager expectation.
"I kind of sort of was bullied into accepting a bet," you repeated, definitely not eager to be explaining yourself. "Levi bet that I couldn't watch a scary movie...and so now, I definitely need to! Because if I lose..."
"What's the price?" Hanji asked, leaning closer as the drama drew her in as though it had its hook embedded in her soul.
Sasha looked up with pitying eyes, popping grapes into her mouth between words. "Is he taking away your chocolate?"
You shook your head. "He said that if I lose, he's forcing me to dress up as a teddy bear and come to school like that."
Sasha and Hanji just stared at you. "I so totally want to see that!" Hanji screamed, and Sasha nodded. "You'd be so adorable!! But I wonder why Levi's being nice?"
"That's not being nice! He knows that I'm shy, and I won't ever be able to make any more friends if that happens!" Clearly, only one of you saw this as your personal Armageddon.
Hanji shrugged. "He could do a lot worse, you know. Sorry, (y/n), but I'm hoping that you lose this bet." She walked away humming to herself, before turning around suddenly. "And make sure you wear a bow! A big one!!"
"Ugh," you moaned, sliding down in your seat and leaning your lead against the desk.
"Rough day?" asked a familiar voice, and you looked to the side to see Eren leaning against the next desk.
"Kinda sorta," you replied half-heartedly. Suddenly, you looked up at him. "Hey, Eren?"
"Yeah?"
"Is it wrong to be scared of stuff?"
He hesitated. "No? Well, I mean, everyone's scared of something."
"Yeah, but I'm scared of, like, everything." Mumbling to yourself, you started making a list: clowns, spiders, snakes, shadows, full moons, fog, cracked sidewalks, black cats, oddly enough - chewed gum, broken vases, red contacts...
"Well, it's not a crime," Eren said, cutting you off as you just kept going.
You sighed and explained the bet to him. "I didn't mean to agree to it, but...now I'm stuck with it..."
"Hey! I know," Eren said, grinning. "I'll watch a scary movie with you, okay? Then if you get scared, I'll be there."
You just sort of looked at him blankly. "What will you do?"
"Huh?"
"I mean, how would having another person there help?"
Eren just laughed. "I'll meet you after school, okay?" he said, waving and walking away.
Is it just me, or do people ignore pretty much everything I say?