Chapter 32: Win it For (Y/n)!

~from Levi's POV~
I know that this is just a game.
I know, but...
...but (y/n) is watching. I wasn't sure when she became my motivation for putting in effort, but...

~flashback to that one doctor's appointment that I kind of left a huge blank in to be revealed now!~
I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, yeah. Just spill already." How bad can it be?
The doctor exhaled heavily. "There's no easy way to say this." He looked up and met my eyes, and I recoiled slightly at the painful depth to the them. "(Y/n) is sick."
"How sick?" I asked, frowning.
The doctor grimaced. "Very sick. (Y/n) is suffering from AIDS," he said, his voice devoid of any gentility to soften the blow.
I wasn't quite sure what to say. "How did she-"
"Contract the disease?" he asked, looking twice as fatigued as ten minutes ago. "(Y/n) was raped last year, and she-"
"Stop," I interrupted, cutting him off. "I don't want to hear this."
The doctor's mouth tightened into a thin white line, but he nodded. "I understand."
We sat in silence for a few moments until I cleared my throat. "How- how far has it- How bad is it?" I asked, and although my voice was steady, my stuttering revealed my underlying uncertainty.
The doctor looked down, and that's when I knew.
"Isn't there anything you can do?" I asked, my voice normal and yet unfamiliar to my own ears. I felt the panic roaring in my ears, a foreign emotion.
The doctor didn't - couldn't - say anything.
I got to my feet, walking towards the door. "Then you're completely unless, aren't you?" I asked coldly, brushing past him and out of the clinic, ignoring Himuro's angry retort. Some part of me realized that both of them were in as much suffering as I seemed to be feeling - more, perhaps, from bearing the extended weight of such knowledge, but this was hitting me harder than I thought it could, harder than I thought anything could.
Since Mom died...
I got used to being alone.
And yet now...
Why does being alone scare me so much?
Why does the thought of losing (y/n), who's scared of everything, scare me, who can't remember the last time I was afraid?
It's not that I care about her, because I don't, not since she abandoned Mom and me, when I decided that I'd never forgive her.
because I don't, right?
Right?
~end flashback~

...but now, right now, I was playing for (y/n). I didn't give a damn that Yosen was this basketball powerhouse or whatever. I gave at least half a damn about that fact that I was facing Himuro. But all the damns I have to give right now all go to winning.
I will...obliterate Yosen!
(*subtle Code Geass reference there you all~)
I dribbled slowly, letting the ball roll off the tip of my fingers and impact the ground with enough force to back up into my hand. The guy marking me was watching the ball and not me, his eyes following up and down, up and down, so tantalizing slow...
He moved to steal, but I was already gone, flying past him a second before he even moved and throwing his momentum off so he couldn't catch up with me. My eyes were already analyzing the court as my team fell into position - Eren near the right flank of the basket, Sakurai just outside the left three point line, Koganei just inside the line on the right, and Mayuzumi - though practically invisible to Yosen and our own players - was behind me on my right, moving forward but slowly enough so I could pass back if I needed to.
I gave a discreet signal to Mayuzumi and pretended to be pondering my passing options as my mark caught up with me (Mayuzumi's was guarding the middle lane), and I went into a passing stance, faking out of my mark as I whipped the ball towards where I sensed Mayuzumi was, and my mark swore, quickly moving a few feet from me towards my nearest teammate to double guard him, but then, as planned, Mayuzumi passed right back to me, and without hesitating, I transitioned into a shooting stance and took a shot.
The first basket of the game - and I (point guard and power forward) had just scored a three.
Yes, (high/school/n) was playing in a very unconventional manner this year.
***
(H/s/n) and Yosen were neck and neck for the first and second quarters, and then the two teams took a break, temporarily leaving the score 52-50, (h/s/n).
I sat on the bench, drinking some water.
Hanji held out a container.
"What's this?" I asked, narrowing my eyes.
"Lemons with honey. Have some," she insisted, and I glared at her.
"No, freak. Take your lemons and leave."
She stuck out her tongue but left me alone.
Then (y/n) came over. "Great job! Would you like a lemon?" she asked, handing one over.
"Tsk." I looked the other way as I accepted her lemon. "Fine, brat." I ate it quickly.
"You're playing really well today, nii-san," (y/n) said, tucking some hair behind her ears, but it just fell right back over her earlobe and she sighed.
"Don't calle me n-n-n-that," I snapped, and she turned those very large eyes towards me, her mouth open slightly.
"Why not, nii-san?" she asked, tilting her head.
"Don't call me that," I growled, and she blinked.
"But, nii-san-"
Before I knew what I was doing, suddenly my hand was moving without my permission, and i couldn't stop myself, and then -
There was a sharp noise, a small crack, and then (y/n)'s face was turned away, her cheek red, and it took me a moment to notice that my hand was raised.
Wait...
What?
What did I just do?

Then (y/n) looked over at me, her eyes wide - making her barely withheld tears that much more noticeable, and that's when I knew.
I screwed up.